Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

where is the body control module located on a 2004 pontiac gran prix

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Your vehicles body control module is located under the dash on the drivers side of the vehicle.Here is the procedure on how to remove it.If it does need replacement then the new BCM would have to be setup and programmed by a GM dealer in order to operate properly in your vehicle.

1. Pull the left instrument panel (I/P) compartment access hole cover from the I/P trim pad.(far drivers side of the dash,this panel will pop off by using a door panel tool or flat bladed tool)
2. Press to release the cam lock. Disconnect the upper electrical connector from the BCM.
3. Remove the left I/P insulator fasteners.(this is the panel below the dash on the drivers side)
4. Rotate the lamp. Remove the lamp from the insulator.
5. Remove the left I/P insulator.
6. Disengage the data link connector (DLC) retainers. Remove the DLC from the I/P trim pad.(the DLC is the connector under the dash that a scan tool is used to plug into for diagnostics)
7. Use a plastic trim tool to remove the ignition switch bezel.(this is the bezel around the ignition cylinder)
8. Pull the I/P accessory trim plate rearward slightly for access to the steering column filler.(this is the large panel that goes around the radio,and heater controls,this panel should pull off towards the rear of the vehicle)
9. Remove the I/P steering column opening filler screws.(this is the panel below the steering wheel on the dash where your knees would rest)
10. Pull the I/P steering column opening filler rearward. Remove the I/P steering column opening filler.(this is the panel behind the above panel just removed)
11. Press to release the cam lock. Disconnect the lower BCM electrical connectors.
12. Remove the BCM screws.
13. Remove the BCM.(the BCM should be a large rectangular box)

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.