Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

montana: whine..extremley loud especially at 80km and up..wheel drive

there is a whine in the back of our montana van, it is extremley loud especially at 80km and up? Our van is all wheel drive, any suggestions on what it could be?
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Does the noise change pitch or go away at all when turning side to side while driving?

Has anything been checked or replaced to try and correct this problem?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no the whine does not go away when going side to side and nothing has been replaced yet.
Does the noise change pitch when accelerating/decelerating or at a steady cruising speed?

Have the tires been rotated or replaced to try and correct this problem or was this noise there before any tire replacement or after tires were put on?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when you accelerate the noise gets louder, but stays loud when you are at a steady cruising speed. No it is not the tires, it was there before the tires got replaced and still there after the tires were replaced.
O.k.

This is what I needed to know on the tires as sometimes the tires can be at fault for this type of noise here.

The rear differential from what is described here sounds like it could be at fault for this problem especially with the noise changing pitch on acceleration.

If the fluid hasn't been changed in this rear differential it should be as the fluid can break down in these rear differentials and cause this type of noise.The rear differential on your vehicle takes a special lubricant to refill it.The fluid part number is XXXXX in Canada.You need 4 bottles of this as there is only .5 liter in each bottle.

If this doesn't correct the problem then you may have an internal mechanical failure in the rear differential that is causing this.I have had to replace a couple of these for noise like this while driving.I have also had success installing new fluid to eliminate this noise.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i check the fliud level back there. Is the fliud just gone bad or could it be empty? if the fliud has gone bad how do you get it out?
To drain out the fluid there will be a plug that unscrews from the rear differential below the drivers rear axle where it comes out of the differential,Unscrew this plug and let the oil drain until it stops or a very slow drizzle.

Then to fill it remove this same type of plug just above the drivers rear axle in the rear differential.The fluid level should be level with the fill plug hole above the drivers rear axle in the differential,you can fill it at this fill plug until it is level and check it here as well,if it drizzles out slowly or very little at the fill plug when you remove it then it is full,it can be just slightly lower then the fill plug as well but to be level is best.

The fluid can break down and become dirty from the components in the rear differential,this can cause the fluid to become less effective in the rear differential this is why it should be replaced first to see if it corrects this problem.

The drain and fill plugs will look different then any other bolt on the rear differential,this is how they can be identified.