Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Pontiac G6 I have a 2005 Ponitac G6 which is giving a code

I have a 2005 Ponitac G6 which is giving a code that says "EVAP Emmissons Gross leak". I have reasearched this and suspect the purge solenoid, but do not have a diagram of where it is.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

This code will set when there is a large leak in the fuel tank vapor system.This can set if your gas cap is off,wrong or was off or loose recently.

If the cap has not been loose or off and is the correct cap then you have another leak in the evap fuel tank vapor system.

This can be caused by a damages vapor line,canister,vent valve or the fuel tank having a leak in at as well.

An evap test needs to be performed,this is best done at a shop with a smoke machine they use to inject smoke into the evap system,then the vent valve is commanded closed with the scan tool and where the smoke is leaking out from is where this leak is located and needs repaired.

Most commonly to cause this is either the gas cap being left off or loose or the vent valve not functioning properly.

The vent valve is located on the right hand passenger side of the fuel tank under the vehicle.The tank has to be lowered down slightly in order to remove and replace this valve.

The valve can cost around $100 and can take up to 1.7 hours to replace it.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any way to get a diagram of the purge valve? I have already bought one (have not picked it up yet), and want to try this out b4 taking it to a dealer.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
I don't have an exact diagram or picture of the purge valve but the purge valve is located on the intake on the engine,my info doesn't point the exact location so its hard to say where on the intake but here is a picture of what it should look like.

graphic