GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Pontiac Bonneville: the ignition and the theft lock light stays on

Customer Question

I need help with a theft lock code for my Pontiac Bonneville 2000. There is no display when I turn on the ignition and the theft lock light stays on. I have tried the one procedure with holding the 2 & 3 buttons down and writing down the code but there is no display on the radio.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome. Does the dash light up as well? Heater and so on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the heat comes on and the dash. The radio will take cd's and tapes but theftlock is blocking it from doing anything. It will not show anything on the radio display.
Theft lock would lock the whole unit out, not just the display. Can you tell me what happened prior to this? Did you loose power or did it just lock up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well what happened originally is that my old factory radio broke the cd player stopped working and the tape player stopped working. I was using radio the before through the cassete player. I went to my dad's and he had installed for me but he couldnt by pass theftlock.
Is this an RDS radio?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what does rds mean sorry its just a factory radio like you would get with the car.
The theft system on this does not use codes anymore. It is setup with a scan tool and it learns the vin to the radio and sets up the options specific to the vehicle. In the radio.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When ever I looked on certain sites online they told me to leave the key in the on position for an hour and then it should have LOC on the display does this sound right or is that for older models the car is a 2000 model and its bonneville that has all the upgrades you could think of.
That is for the older style and when the display says inop. You need to get a scan tool.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do they look like to see if I understand this fully because I have never heard of this.
It is a hand held tool, about 14" long with a 6' cord. It says GM TECH II
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where would they sell these things at like autozone?
This tool is over 2000 so it is much cheaper to pay someone to do it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already have 90 invested in this I have called a couple of dealers one was 89 the other was about 75 should they be this high. I ordered this radio offline any idea how to make sure the radio works and its not just the radio.
If the radio was not originally programmed for this exact car, the there is no way to know with out programming it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if i called the place where I ordered the radio from what would they do you think.
They would or should tell you the same. It needs to be programmed for your vin.