Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Pontiac Grand Prix how do i drain my coolant

Customer Question

how do i drain my coolant?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Draining Procedure

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  2. Remove and clean coolant recovery reservoir.
  3. Remove the radiator cap when the engine is cool:
3.1.Slowly rotating the cap counterclockwise to detent. Do not press down while rotating pressure cap.
3.2.Wait until any residual pressure (indicated by a hissing sound) is relieved.
3.3.After all hissing stops, continue to rotate counterclockwise until the cap is removed.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle
  2. Place drain pan under vehicle to collect all drained coolant. graphic
  3. Open the radiator drain valve located at the bottom of the radiator tank. For procedures requiring the cooling system to be partially drained, opening the radiator drain valve should provide sufficient draining and no further actions should be necessary.
  4. Open the air bleed vent on the thermostat housing.
  5. For the 3100 engine, remove both engine block drains. The front engine block drain is located between the starter and the engine oil filter. The rear engine block drain is located by the engine crank sensor.graphic
  6. For the 3800 engine, remove both block drains (knock sensors).

7. Allow the coolant to drain completely.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Filling Procedure

Notice: DO NOT use cooling system seal tabs (or similar compounds) unless otherwise instructed. The use of cooling system seal tabs (or similar compounds) may restrict coolant flow through the passages of the cooling system or the engine components.

Restricted coolant flow may cause engine overheating and/or damage to the cooling system or the engine components/assembly.

1. Close the radiator drain valve. Install all the engine block drains.
  2. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir and empty. Flush the reservoir with clean water, drain and reinstall.

Important:

• When refilling the engine coolant system, add GM approved new Ethylene Glycol Coolant DEX-COOL GM P/N 12346290.
  • If the cooling system is being refilled ONLY (no flush), a 50 percent ethylene glycol and 50 percent clean water mixture should be used to fill the system. Fill the system until the level of the 50/50 mixture has reached the base of the radiator neck. Wait 2 minutes and recheck the level of the coolant mixture, add a 50/50 ethylene glycol/water mixture as necessary to restore the coolant mixture level to the base of the radiator neck.
  1. Slowly fill the cooling system through the radiator neck using the following procedure:
3.1.If the coolant system has been flushed first add 100 percent ethylene glycol in the amount listed for the appropriate engine application.
3.2.Slowly add clean water to the system until the level of the coolant mixture has reached the base of the radiator neck.
3.3.Wait for two minutes and recheck the level of the coolant mixture, add clean water if necessary to restore the coolant mixture level to the base of the radiator neck.
  1. Install the radiator cap making certain the arrows line up with the overflow tube.
  2. Close all air bleeds. DO NOT over-torque the air bleed valve. The air bleed valve is made out of brass.
  3. Add 0.75 liters (0.8 quarts) of a 50/50 mixture of ethylene glycol and clean water to the coolant recovery reservoir.

Notice: The Low Coolant warning/indicator lamp may come on after this procedure. If after operating the vehicle so that the engine heats up and cools down three times, the Low Coolant warning/indicator lamp does not go out, or fails to come on at the ignition check, and the coolant is above the full cold mark in the reservoir, refer to Low Coolant Warning/Indicator Lamp. If at any time the Temperature warning/indicator lamp comes on, immediate action is required. Turn OFF the engine and allow the vehicle to cool. Do not remove the coolant recovery reservoir cap at this time.

1. Inspect the freeze protection of the engine coolant after the engine heats up and cools down three times using a refractometer or a hydrometer to ensure proper freeze -37°C (-34°F) protection. Obtain the coolant mixture for the inspection from the base of the radiator neck, NOT from the coolant recovery reservoir.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Draining Procedure

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle
  2. Place drain pan under vehicle to collect all drained coolant.
  5. For the 3100 engine, remove both engine block drains. The front engine block drain is located between the starter and the engine oil filter. The rear engine block drain is located by the engine crank sensor.