Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Grand Prix: the serpentine belt..V6..tensioner pulley

I need to know step by step how to replace the serpentine belt on my 2006 V6 3800 stock Grand Prix. Where is the tensioner pulley and what do I need to manipulate it?

Removal Procedure

graphic

• Lift or rotate the drive belt tensioner using a 15 mm box end wrench on the pulley nut.
  • Remove the drive belt.

Installation Procedure

• Install the drive belt.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Lift or rotate the tensioner. I can't do that and install the belt with a 15mm combo wrench. Now what?

The tensioner is spring loaded, it should pivot upon itself by putting a 15mm on the pulley's center bolt. The tension is pretty tight, so you may need to have a longer wrench to add some leverage.

Removal Procedure

• Remove the drive belt.

Installation Procedure

• Install the drive belt.