john aka eaut
john aka eaut, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech

2009 g6: wont start..drove..driveway and it stalled..security system

Customer Question

my 2009 g6 wont start ! We drove it down the driveway and it stalled. Now wont do anything i think it has to do with the security system. It did this before and i ran through the gears and messed with the lock unlock and it started. Any ideas?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  john aka eaut replied 3 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Here is the procedure to attempt a security relearn
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not
start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale
will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes
(the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code
and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or
password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You
must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data
Code and/or password).
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear
after 100 ignition cycles).
Be sure to have a battery charger on the car, as this 30 minute procedure
may drain the battery to a point were it will effect the programming- or
cause a dead battery.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
im doing that process now but the security lock sign on the dash goes off after just a few seconds of the key being in the on position after trying to start.It started twice this morning and died after 30 seconds or so .after the first time it died it started in neutral but then died and wouidnt start in any position.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did your process with the ignition key, the three step process... and the car started like you said, but during the process the lock light on the dash would go off after a few seconds not ten minutes that you said, it did start after the third process backed out of the driveway about thirty feet, drove forward and it died again, it had no crank, had lights, dash lights, everything just know crank..

is the security light stuck on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no the light is not on. you turn the key on to start it and i get nothing.If i turn the key on and try to start the car i get lights,dash lights,everything,just no crank.ithas done this before and like i said i could run through the gears and mess with the locks in no order and i could get it started.This morning it started after sitting all night and then died messed around and it started.then died after going about 30 feet.Then i did the sequence you told me to do and to my surprise it started. then the same it died and wouldnt start (no crank) lights and all but no crank. When i did the sequenc you told me you said the lock light would go off in about 10 minutes.That light goes off after a few seconds of releasing the key.

you can call if it is permitted (XXX) XXX-XXXX robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: takes to long to answer. I start the car in the driveway and it will run forever without putting it in gear.the problem is when i put in gear to drive in reverse or drive.I dont see what takes so long to answer!!