GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2002 sunfire: fuel rail..fuel pump @ system..bypass

2002 sunfire with 2.2ohv quit while driving-have spark @plugs, no fuel @ fuel rail, power to fuel pump @ relay, can hear pump at fuel fill for about 2 seconds, have tried 10min. key on security system reset-no results. How do I bypass security in order to determine if it is the problem.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

If you have no pressure at the fuel rail then that is the issue, the pump is not putting the prssure out. THe security will not stop the fuel from building pressure, it will stop the injectors from firing. Test the pressure. 50-60 psi is the spec at the rail. If that is far too low, then replace the pump and filter.