GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

grand prix: blower motor only works..headlights..manually..doesnt work

1997 Pont grand prix, blower motor only works on 5, and when you turn it to any other position, except off the headlights go out, you can turn the lights on manually it these positions, and the rear defog doesnt work in some of these cases as well.

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

This is a very common issue in these cars. The issue is the ignition switch. The fan, speeds 1-4 get power through the ignition switch and the same contact as the daytime light module. SO once you change to speed 5, the load for the blower comes from a different fuse and things come back. Change the ignition switch and you will fix your issue.