Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire: DOHC..throttle body..engine oil..air intake

To change the oil on my 2002 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L DOHC L4 Ecotec engine, the air duct must be removed, including the portion connected to the throttle body. Both that boxey section, and the flexible air duct close to it, have collected engine oil in the bottom. If this is blowby oil going past the rings, how is it getting into the air intake?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hello Sir or Madam. Welcome to justanswer!

How much oil does the engine use in 500 miles?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I change the oil at 3000 mile intervals, and it is down approx. 1qt max at that time, 1/6 quart would be the 500 mile usage.
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
How many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
YOu need not worry. What you're seeing is normal. just clean out the oil that you see in the intake and you will be fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear XXXXX, you apparently lost the question I posed: how is the oil getting into the air intake? I have no concern about the quantity of oil consumed between changes, but I've never seen oil coming into the air intake. I have seen oil filters clogged because of PCV valves that were none functioning...
So, how is the oil gettting into the air intake?
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
I didn't loose anything. the intake has a hose connected to the engine for the PCV as well. Some blow by causes oil to build up in the intake on older engines. You may want to try replacing the PCV Valve but some oil will build in the intake at the mileage you have.