GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

99 Pontiac Grand Am: the key will not turn to release it for removal

How do you replace an ignition on a 99 Pontiac Grand Am when the key will not turn to release it for removal?

Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name?
I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your vehicle, There is a place you can drill in the housing to push the button, but first, see if the cylinder will turn if you tap on the end of the key with a screw driver handle. if that does not work, then you can drill as follows.

graphic

If the lock cylinder does not rotate or is seized, perform the following procedure:

12.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
12.2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the rib 9.5 mm (3/8 in) rearward, toward the key entry end, from the cylinder release button.
12.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with an 1/8-inch drill bit.
12.4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32-inch drill bit.
12.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
12.6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing.
12.7. Remove any plastic flashing from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.
12.8. Follow the service manual procedures when cylinder coding is required.