GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Keyless entry..clip..the anti theft alarm went off and I used the fob

Customer Question

My remote keyless entry fob was not working because the battery clip had detached from the circuit board. I resoldered the connection, put in a new battery. When I closed the
fob case the anti theft alarm went off and I used the fob to shut it off.
Over the next three days the Fob worked, but not consistently.
And now... the 3 beep locator sounds and the 30 second lights and horn alarm is going off randomly throughout the day and night. Disconnecting the negative battery terminal or leaving the key in the ignition are the only current solutions to this annoying problem.
I suppose my tinkering with the key fab has something to do with this.
Is there a way to reset the system or reprogram with new fobs?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name?
I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your fob, did any of the solder land where it was not supposed to? usually when this happens, there is damage to a resistor on the circuit board. Have a close look and see. If there is any damage, it will require a new fob.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Cam, I'm Jeff.

Yes, although I was careful of the quantity of solder and heat on those little connections I think a little solder may have touched some of the

adjacent contacts. I figured that I'll need to buy a new fob, but I'm not sure

if that will fix the problem. Currently, the battery is out of the fob and the car

alarm still has a mind of ts own. How does the faob and car system get reset

or reprogrammed?

Jeff, first try resetting the car.

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle..

If you can clean the fob contacts off, then see if that works. FOr programming the new fob, here are instructions.

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming

Important:

Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.
The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.
The keyless entry transmitters used in the Advance 2 Way Remote Start System isare unique to the system. When servicing or replacing a transmitter, ensure that the correct transmitter is used. The correct transmitter part number can be found in the Accessory section of the parts catalog. Attempting to replace an Advance 2 Way Remote Start transmitter with a regular service part will result in a failure to program the transmitter.

Invalidate All

This procedure will erase all keyless entry transmitters from memory.

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
  3. With the scan tool, select Body.
  4. Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).
  5. Select Module Setup.
  6. Select Program Key Fobs.
  7. Select Invalidate All.
  8. Follow the scan tool on screen instructions.

Next Available Slot

Incremental programming allows for a transmitter to be programmed into the next available location without affecting the currently programmed transmitters. Previously programmed transmitters will not be erased during this procedure.

Important: If all 4 slots are programmed, the Invalidate All procedure will need to be performed to allow transmitter programming.

1. Install a scan tool.
  3. With the scan tool, select Body.
  5. Select Module Setup.
  6. Select Program Key Fobs.
  7. Select Next Available Slot.
  9. Remove the scan tool.
  10. Exit the vehicle. Operate all functions on transmitters to verify correct system operation.

Transmitter Slot Programming

Transmitter slot programming allows a single transmitter to be programmed into a specific slot without affecting any of the other programmed transmitters. By using slot programming, the transmitter originally programmed to a specific slot is erased and the new transmitter learned in its placed.

1. Install a scan tool.
  3. With the scan tool, select Body.
  5. Select Module Setup.
  6. Select Program Key Fobs.
  7. Select the key fob desired to be programmed.
  9. Remove the scan tool.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just did the reset procedure. So far so good. I think I'll leave the fob alone for a while

just to make sure the car system is cured first! The programming instructions for the

fob refers to a scan tool. Since I don't have one, I assume that is something I can have done at a GM service center? Also, I don't see any markings on the fobs that indicate #1 or #2.

Yes you will need a dealer or a shop with the scan tool.

Each fob is a different frequency so the one you program first is #1.

GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

Thanks for using Just Answer. If you want me to answer your next GM or GM product question, please put "For GMTECH Cam to Answer" and I should get it. Thanks and have a great day!!