Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I check the resistance on my key..meter

How do I check the resistance on my key? I have a meter but no instructions on how to use it.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX the meter on OHMS, and touch each side of the chip on both sides of the key, the meter will then show the resistance of the chip in the key,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't see a chip.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
on the metal part of the key, there will be a little black plastic part with a metal strip on it, this is the chip, you need to touch the probes to both sides of the metal strip
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't have that on my key.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
then you dont have a chip in your key, what are you trying to accomplish?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Here is everything that I have asked and got an answer for so far. I did a lot of copy and pasting so I hope it makes sense.

'98 Grand Prix GT-when I open the door the chimes are going, put my key in the ignition and turn it to start, nothing happens. When I use my aftermarket remote it will start the car but shut off after 5 or 10 seconds. It all started when I let the car sit for 6 months and the battery went dead. Now, I have replaced the shifter celinoid, ignition switch but not the cylinder and key. No power to the purple wire on the starter when I turn the key. Someone told me to reflash the computer, reprogram the key. I don't know if it's something to do with the security. Can you give me a list of things to try?

The problem is most likely the ignition lock cylinder, there are two tiny wires coming out of the cylinder that break over time. You can replace the ignition lock cylinder or you can bypass the system. If you want to bypass the system, use an ohmmeter to find the resistance across the chip in the key. Then go to Radio Shack and purchase a resistor of the same resistance value. Wire this resistor across the two white wires coming out of the steering column under the dash. These white wires are encased in orange insulation where they come out of the column, then break out of the insulation near the connector. See illustration below.

I think I will probably replace the cylinder. Is it hard to replace?

Not that hard to do. You must remove the steering wheel, then the lock plate under it and then take the turn signal switch loose. You do not have to totally remove the turn signal switch, just lift it up. There is a single bolt that secures the lock cylinder into the column.

Is there going to be any trouble because it has an air bag? I have never taken off a steering wheel with a bag b/c I was afraid I might mess something up.

Removing the air bag is pretty simple. Remove the air bag fuse and disconnect the battery before servicing the vehicle.

Turn the wheel 90 degrees and use a flat bladed screwdriver to release the spring clips on the backside of the steering wheel to remove the airbag. There are 2 on each side.

In detail - how do I remove the steering wheel off of a '98 Grand Prix? I have to replace the key cylinder. Also, I do I check for resistance on the key?

dont need to ohm the key for resistance if replacing the lock cylinder with a new key, but you will need to perform the security relearn procedure below:

When performing the 30-minute relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the TDM memory. Additional keys may be learned after performing the relearn procedure.

• With a master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale(security light) will turn OFF.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

• With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and/or the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  • If additional keys are required to be learned:
  • Adding Keys

Important:

To initiate, this procedure requires that a learned master key be available.
    A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.
    This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
    The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.
    If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
    3. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key

• Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
    is the key a small one with black handle or a larger one with a handle?
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    i would have 2 say smaller