Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master

ls1: trans..I change fuel pump same pressure readings..regulator

Customer Question

I have a 1999 trans am, pressure at fuel rail is at 55psi needs to be min,of 85psi,ls1 engine. I change fuel pump same pressure readings, could it be the regulator on fuel rail? thanks bobby in gardendale
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
what is your problem with the car?you have 55 PSI steady at the rail correct?why do you need 85 ?this is a 1999 firebird/trans am with a 5.7 engine is the 8th digit of the VIN number a G ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it want start. 85psi is the min.required.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok is the 8th digit of your VIN number for this car a G ?is this engine stock?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes g is correct.yes the engine is stock.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
the fuel PSI is 55 - 60 PSI. it is NOT 85 PSI you have proper fuel pressure for that engine! does the needle stay at 55 or drop off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the pump spec say 85psi. the pressure drops slowly
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
no the PSI should be 55 - 60 PSI.you have enough for that engine to run
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what going on -the car running one min and not the next? conflicting min pressure.the pump was for the car.if it not the fuel pump 85psi min-to115 max which serveral parts houses said this is the pump for your car.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
no it is not.the pump PSI for your car should be 55 - 60 PSI
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not satisfied.the car started couple of times. it acts like it not geting fuel.i"m going to do a dianostic test.all i can think of. I hope your right about pressure -this ls1 trans am confused in g-dale al.PS you sure it not the fuel rail reg?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
if it was you would NOT have the 55 PSI.does it have spark? an injector pulse?could the cat converter be restricted or plugged?does it just bog down when you floor it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm going double check spark. you seem sure about the fuel pressure. there was a small amout of hesatation last time I drove it

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
i am 100% sure on the PSI and more than 60 it will be too much PSI and actually push fuel past the inside pindles of the injectors flooding it out
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, if it not the fuel. what control the spark the cpu? is theresomething in between? boy that fuel pump was bitch to change out up side at least it has a new one.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
we need to see if we have spark next
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Let me see if I have spark -I will get back to you where you can get paid.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
no problem at all when your 100% satisfied then click accept at the bottom of the chat box
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
trash floating around in the REGULATOR .I WANT MAY 28$ BACK.fix it myself
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was charged when I was not satisfied. you told me it was not regulator on fuel rail. I told you pressure was 50 psi and falling you ignored. AS A UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER I WANT MY 28$ PUT BACK IN MY ACCOUNT.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
I have advised justanswer for a refund for you