zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

supercharged..come when accelerating. engine oil is at proper level.

Customer Question

my 3800 supercharged engine seems to be making some noise. It seems to come when accelerating. engine oil is at proper level. What else could be making the noise? It is kind of like a whining noise.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure why you rejected my original answer to this question it really is the only way to determine which of the pulleys/systems on the front of the engine is causing the noise you are describing. It is pretty common for the alternator or the power steering to cause this noise but I have also had the idler and the tensioner pulleys make this noise, it is also possible that the super charger is causing this noise. If you have more questions about this please feel free to ask back in this thread.

Edited by zzdaryl on 10/4/2010 at 1:52 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how would the alternator or power steering be tested to see if the noise is coming from there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 6 years ago.
The alternator and power steering pulleys can be spun by hand after the belt is removed, typically you can hear the problem this way to narrow it down.

Edited by zzdaryl on 10/4/2010 at 11:56 PM EST