Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

Have an 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 3.8ltr,non-super charged

Customer Question

Have an 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 3.8ltr,non-super charged sedan. The a/c fan motor doesn't work. I can turn the A/C on/off and hear the pump go on and off. I can press the button on the controls and the A/C icon highlights and I can play with the heat / ac knob for temperature control. I can see the numbers run up and down on the led display. I can see the a/c icon go on and off. When I press the fan switch up & down, the blower is displayed with the bars going up and down. What I don't FEEL is any air blow through the vents, whether its cold or hot. I can hear vent actuators moving around when I mess with the vent controls. But what I don't get is air coming out of any of the vents. I checked the fuses that were labeled blo or HVAC. They were not open/blown. I pulled the cabin filter, with the AC control set to fresh air, verified that the blower motor fan cage spun free. What can be wrong with the issue?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.

Hello and good evening. We either have a faulty blower control module or a faulty blower motor. Let's start at the simplest thing. Select the fan and put it to the highest setting. Go to the blower motor and measure for 12volts on one wire and ground on the other. If you have both, the blower motor is bad, if you have no 12 volts or ground, let me know and I'll either confirm the blower control module, or I'll have you do more tests.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How hard is it to get to the blower motor to check the connector? Do I need to remove the glove compartment to get to it?
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.

If you go under the passenger side of the dash, you will find it. If you don't see it initially, you may have to remove the lower dash panel, but once that is out, you will see it. You will be able to access the plug easily, it will be a 2 wire plug.

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay I'll check it out in the morning and come back here to report the results. I'll be able to work with you on this??
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.
Yes, absolutely. Just click on the link that came to your email address and it will bring you right back to this existing question. From there we will be able to continue. I'll be looking for your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Results of testing the connector at the fan motor:

Note: With the connector removed, clip facing down, pins are numbered 1, 2, 3 for reference to this problem.

Car off: P1 & P2 13.4vdc P1 & P3 0vdc P2 & P3 0VDC

Car On: A/C off, Fan off
Car on: P1 & P2 14.9vdc P1 & P3 0vdc P2 & P3 0VDC

Car On: FAN on, 1 bar on led display
Car on: P1 & P2 14.9vdc P1 & P3 0vdc P2 & P3 14.9 VDC

Car On: FAN on, ALL bars on led display
Car on: P1 & P2 14.9vdc P1 & P3 0vdc P2 & P3 15.1 VDC
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.

Ok, give me them again, with the connector plugged in and using this diagram for reference.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Car off: C & B 3.6vdc B & A 13.1vdc C& A 8.3VDC

Car On: FAN on, 1 bar on led display
Car on: C & B 13.7vdc B & A 14.8vdc C& A 2.0vdc

Car On: FAN on, ALL bars on led display
Car on: C & B 14.8vdc B & A 14.8vdc C& A 0vdc
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.
This is what I'm looking for A will be a varying voltage from high at low speeds, to 0 at high speed. B should be battery voltage and C should be ground. C should indicate 0 volts while connected and should show 12 volts if you connect your meter to battery positive instead of ground. Your reading seem to show no ground present.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
According what I sent, High is 0 vdc, low is 2 vdc. Is there a diagnostic to run on the controller?
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.
You are correct. 0 is the voltage for the higher speeds. I would like you to carefully apply a ground to the brown wire on terminal C and see if the fan runs. Let me know
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.

I'm stepping out for dinner. I will check back for your reply as soon as I return. I'm curious if that motor will run when you ground that brown wire. It should.

Ivan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok its fixed.... Here's what happened. Being an old fart (50 yrs old), I took the motor out so that I would be so twisted up trying to troubleshoot the motor. I grounded the wire to the motor and viola' it worked. I went around to wiggle the connector and it quit. I moved the motor it started running half speed; twisted the motor upside down, it slowed down, then sped up acting erratically. So I turned off the fan/ac, turned off the car,reseated the ground wire..(stripped back some stranded 16 awg and wiggled the end into the ground pin in the connector and stuck it back on the motor) and tried it again. No fan. Wiggle the motor and it started working. So I turned everything off, next to the car in the dirt I sat, unscrewed the two screws that hold the back plate to the fan motor. I found a lot of dirt andh crap in the brush assembly, actuator, and fields! Camel hair brushed the stuff out of the case and armature, brushes, etc. and then vacumned everything out and re-assembled it. Tested it and it runs fine, including wiggle/twist testing the motor. I re-assembled the motor back into into the HVAC plenum and its working just fine. When the input from controller commands it to different speeds, heat and ac are now working.
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.

Fantastic, and by the way 50 is no longer old fart status, since I turned 40 and 50 is not that far away. Logic always prevails. I'm glad I could help. Let me know if you ever need anything and have a great night.

Ivan