GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2001 Chevy Venture: Van..intermittantly wont crank or turnover

I have a 2001 Chevy Venture Van that intermittantly won't crank or turnover. No sounds, just dead. Repeated trips to dealer. Never acts up when there, but has left me stranded. If I leave it and go back some hours later, it will turnover and crank on first try. Dealership garage is as puzzled as I am. Have checked battery and everything else I can think of. Diagnostics show everything ok at shop because it doesn't malfunction while there. I've gone as long as several months with no problem, but now has started up again with the problem.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Hi, I'm Cam I will answer your question quickly but we may need to discuss this further. Please reply to continue the discussion.

Do you have a test light? If so then it is best to test at the small stud at the starter when the key is in the start position. If there is no power there, then we need to start checking other places such as the starter relay, or the neutral safety switch. If there is power at that stud then you likely need a new starter if the battery and cables to the starter from the battery are good.