Bill, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician

how to reset security alarm for 1998 trans am

Customer Question

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

There is no reset for the theft deterrant system on the Firebird/Camaro models. Almost every single time I have had a failure in this system it is the ignition cylinder. There is a special tool called a vats interrogator available but it is possible to diagnose the system without it. The ignition cylinder has two very small wires going to it to read the pellet in the key. From years of turning the key back and forth, these wires usually break right near the cylinder. Removing the hush panel under the dash, locating the harness which is two small white wires with an orange sheeth around it. First testing the key with an ohm meter across the pellet and then, with the key in the ignition, reading the resistance across the two white wires and seeing if it is very close to being the same will isolate the fault as the ignition cylinder. It is usually best to replace the cylinder as the wires are very difficult to repair due to their size and often will break again. The key must be tested at your GM parts counter to verify which code it is and a new key cut with the same pellet. I hope this is helpful info...