Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34+ yrs Dealership Exp. - Fully State & ASE Certified - GM Master & GM World Class Tech
14629990

An airplane trying to take off under my hood, what do you think it

Customer Question

when I drive my car over 40, it sounds like an airplane trying to take off under my hood, what do you think it could be?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Greetings, my name is Mark.

I will do my best to help you. Please do not accept my answer unless you can leave positive feedback. It is important to me that I have helped you and you are satisfied with my answer. I don't know if you are a tech or just a person who is attempting to repair their own vehicle. I only know as much about your issue as you have told me on your post. My answers will be base on the amount of information I am reading. Try to give me as much detail as you can, so we can accurately solve your problem.

Noises and sounds can be most deceiving. If it were engine related, you should be able to produce the noise without going down the road.

Common sense tells me that if you have to be going 40 mph or higher to get the noise, then it IS wheel related or any component that is rolling. From experience, I would say you have a wheel bearing that has failed. We replace numerous bearings on these vehicles.

You need to get is somewhere that has QUALIFIED tech's that know what they are doing and not just guessing that it has nothing to do with the wheels. The car will be raised on the hoist, and then the wheels will be spun to pinpoint the noise. The noise will occur on the hoist and does not have to be driven.

Most likely it will be the right wheel bearing as this wheel is closest tot he side of the road and the curb. It takes the most abuse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have taken my car to two different repair places, both of which drove my car and have heard the noise. You can hear the noise going under 40 but it does get louder when you go faster. Both of these places have put my car up on a hoist and had the wheels spinning and used a stethescope up to the bearings. Neither have heard anything with the stethescope.
One place said that when you are under the car when it is up on the hoist you can hear the noise, which sounded like to them was coming from the middle under the hood where the engine and the transmission meet. Which led them to believe that it is the transmission, and referred me to a transmission auto shop because they do not do that kind of work. My Fiance, who knows cars very well does not think this is the case because my car has 80,000 miles on it and I have had no trouble shifting.
I brought it to another auto repair place today and he said the same thing that he does not hear the noise with the hoist and stethescope. He recommended that I either just have the bearing replaced, but if this were not the problem, I could be just waiting money. Or he said he could drop the pan and see if there is debris in the pan and then put it back up. However, he said in the past when he has done this he had cars that would not shift afterwards.
I am not a person trying to repair on my own, I am a 23 year old female who has no history with vehicles or repairs! My fiance works out of town and will not be home for 2 months, and I can not wait that long or will have a bigger problem! Being that I have been to two different auto repair shops, I am at a loss and need some input as to what to do now! Please help!!
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Very good for you. You are approaching this in a well manner. NO, do not just have the bearings replaced. It would show up and you could hear the bearings on the hoist with a stethoscope.

But YES, you could have the trans serviced to see if there is any debris, AND, I don't know that I have EVER NOT had a trans shift after a service. NEVER. We will service trans all day long and check for "metal chunks" or what ever. You should have no problem with shifting afterwords.

However, I wouldn't do that either. You will be spending money to tell you that you need to spend money. You boyfriend my know a lot about cars and good for him. I am glad and happy to see you respect his opinion and value his input. However, you definitely can have a noise inside the trans and it will shift okay.

That's like saying you have a noise in the brakes. They are scraping metal to metal. They are completely worn out. But it can't be the brakes because the vehicle still stops.

You have taken it to 2 places. They have put it on the hoist. Both places confirm and hear the noise inside the trans area. Girl, you have a trans issue. It could be planetary gears. AND, there are bearings inside the trans. Your trans will operate okay for now, but you do need to get this addressed.

You need to find a quality repair facility that deals with transmissions and try to get some kind of preliminary estimate. Personally, I would go to the dealership. They have the latest tools, the latest information, and the experience.

Find out what there policy is, and maybe even inquire about some kind of help from GM. Then, usually, protocol is removing the trans, dis-assemble and find the issue, work up an estimate, and then call you to advise. You can then choose to repair, or install a used trans.

If a bearing is failing inside the trans, and there is debris floating around, remember, it is now getting into other components. The longer you go, the more CHANCE you have of further ruining other components.

Hang in there and good luck to ya........
Mark