Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AAA Approved Auto Repair Shop 38 years Experience..

2009 Pontiac G6: The car went dead and I replaced the battery

My 2009 Pontiac G6 has been experiencing battery issues. The car went dead and I replaced the battery. The car was fine for a month and is now dead again. Any idea what is going on?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jim replied 6 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to give you my best advise and the how to find a solution.

First we need to have the charging system tested. This needs to be done with the vehicle running. We need a reading on total amp output, diode pattern and charging system voltage. Here is an example of what we should get.. AMPS 110-125 Diode pattern :GOOD CHARGING VOLTAGE : 13.9-14.2 Volts. System Draw: Less than 50 milliamp. The last test in done by unhooking the neg cable and use an amp meter between the cable and neg battery post. You have either.. 1. A bad battery, but since you had it replaced that is not as likely. 2. Alt is not putting out enough Volts, Amps or has a bad diode or you have a draw on the system of more than 50 milliamp. This could be caused by an internal alt , glove box light on, vanity mirror not shutting down, any number of relays activation when vehicle is shut off. To find a draw it will take some time and the draw may not always be present. It requires a fair amount of skill and knowledge to do this testing. Please let me know if I can help you or clarify anything I have written. I know it seems like a lot of stuff but that is what it will take to find your problem. Jim B