Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

2001 Pontiac Montana: actuator..blower..comes out the vents)..hot air

Customer Question

2001 Pontiac Montana: removed the mode actuator for the blower system, but need to access the mode door (and I think the seals on it). What am I looking for and how much more do I have to dismantle to get to it? I get nearly no air up to the defroster (it all comes out the vents) and my a/c seems to be "dead", but I think it's mixing in lots of outside hot air with the a/c air.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Hello Customer. Welcome to justanswer!

YOu need to take the whole dash off until you can see the whole top of the heater case. see the picture below:

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would it be fair to assume this is the problem if there is random sealing foam strip blowing up through the vents? Also, is this a job that I can do...and roughly how long do take it apart? I've done a lot of work on cars, but haven't removed a dash since about 1988. (I guess the real question is, how many estimated hours for the GM Techs to do it?)
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Yes and yes. If the foam left through the vents I'm sure you will see that the door isn't working right. Be sure to unhook the battery for 10 minutes prior to starting the work. Its about 8 hours of work you have in front of you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks...I think? Any advice on a "how to" remove the dash in this case? Online, book, etc.? Don't need to waste any more time than necessary and I won't have a/c or defroster until I fix this, I fear.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

In the file in the link below is all the info thats available on removing the dash.

CLICK HERE FOR PDF FILE DOWNLOAD

Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Did the file go through okay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! One final question...am I removing practically the whole dash, or just the lower portions (or can the lower only be removed if the radio, instrument cluster, HVAC controls, etc. are all removed)? Just trying to get all the info from you I can before I determine if I should start this today or wait...
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

YOu bet!

You need to remove the whole dash theres no short cut. The cross bar is what has to be out of the way to be more precise.

Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Darn. Looks like Thanksgiving or Christmas break...(I'm a teacher, if it isn't done today, it's not getting done for a while...) Thankfully, I don't drive this very often anymore. Thank you for your help. Now, off to win the lottery.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Good luck with it and thank you for accepting my answer.