Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix: I change the back 3 spark plugs

How do I change the back 3 spark plugs on a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix. I can't get to them.

Usually if you remove the bolt from the front engine mount and swing the mount out of the way you can jack up on the rear of the engine enough to reach the spark plugs. If you still don't have enough room loosen up the nuts on the front engine mounts on the passenger side of vehicle.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much for your reply. I've been trying to actually fit under the car, which is difficult. When you say jack up the engine, could you be more specific as where to place the jack under the vehicle. My last Pontiac was an 88, and it took me 5 minutes. This engine is just completely foreign to me. Extra details are most helpful. Thank you for the diagram.
I would place a small piece of wood on a floor jack and jack under the oil pan toward the rear of the engine. Not the actual rear of the engine but the rearward facing part of the oil pan.
Also, on the 3.8L (VIN K) engine, the cosmetic/acoustic engine cover, also called the fuel injector sight shield, must be removed. Remove this cover by first turning the tube/oil fill cap counter-clockwise from the valve rocker arm cover. Lift the fuel injector sight shield up at the front and slide the tab out of the engine bracket.