GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  100% GM Certified ASE Master Automobile Medium/Heavy Truck. Licensed State Auto Inspector
42295557

Front wheels turn when car is in park

front wheels turn when car is in park
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GMWrencher replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

Ok we need a little more information. What exactly is the problem? Are you referring to turn by spinning or turn by left and right?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Car makes a rubbing sound when driving. I jacked the car up and with the car in park I can manually spin the tires.

Are you jacking both front tires up at the same time?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes total frontend is off ground.

They will spin. You will notice the one your not spinning by hand will spin

the opposite way. Normal reaction of a non locking differential. It takes both wheels on the ground to activate and lock it in park.

Why are you concerned with this?

Edited by GMWrencher on 8/17/2010 at 8:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It started with the rubbing sound while driving. I jacked it up to check the wheel bearings. the tires do not wobble or make noise when I tug on them.
Is the noise you hear sound like an air plane propeller, or like running over the highway rumble strips?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes exactly

You have a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly. Now its going to be up to you to determine which one (or two) is (are) bad. All 4 corners have these

Is the noise definitely coming from the front?

If you had to point (from the drivers seat) in the vehicle where is the noise originating?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It seems to be left front

Then thats where to start. You may not feel anything when checking these, and you probably wont hear anything with the weight off the bearing.

The easiest way to tell without a chassis ear, is have someone drive you while you move around the vehicle. Place your head between the front seats and close your eyes while listening. The side/corner thats making the most noise is usually the one thats failing.

These are the same left and right so if you happen to guess wrong take the old one and put it on the opposite side.( Front and rear are different, but left and right are the same).

Edited by GMWrencher on 8/17/2010 at 8:36 PM EST