Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34+ yrs Dealership Exp. - Fully State & ASE Certified - GM Master & GM World Class Tech
14629990

2001 pontiac bonneville: blowing cold air..cold air on passenger side

Customer Question

2001 pontiac bonneville blowing cold air on passenger side not drive side
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Greetings, my name is Mark.

What is your AC charge? How did you charge the AC system and what did you add?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
low 40 / high 160. used the AC machine and added 134a
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
I am going to assume you have the right system charge seeing how you used an AC machine. Because of high pressure and molecule size of the 134, it is extremely important that the correct AC charge content be intact. If your AC system is low, the freon liquid will boil on one side of the evap core giving you cold air on one side and warm on the other. Your AC pressures may look okay.

And with you stating you changed the Evap. Core, one needs to basically remove the dash to gain access. There are a number of sensors that control the AC, as you can see from the flow type diagnostics below.

You really should have access to a diagnostic scanner so as to read data and perform output tests on the HVAC system. Reading through the diagnostics, you have a wiring problem, a sensor problem, or there is a control module on the side of the HVAC case.

Read through the chart and at least it will give you an idea what's involved in trying to decipher what's going on.

Don't bother clicking on any of the blue hyper links as you will go nowhere. They are for my reference.

Temperature Variation Between Driver and Passenger Outlets

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: HVAC Schematics

Definition: Temperature variation between driver and passenger A/C or heater outlets.

1

Did you perform the HVAC Diagnostic System Check?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - HVAC Systems - Automatic

2

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  3. With a scan tool, perform the Recalibrate all Motors command in Instrument Panel Module Special Functions.
  4. With a scan tool, observe the current DTC list in Instrument Panel Module.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs?

--

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Go to Step 3

3

When the A/C is ON, does the customer concern occur?

--

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 10

4

Important:: Ambient air temperature must be above 5°C (41°F).

1. Cover the sunload sensor assembly.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. Fully open all panel outlets.
  4. Place the air temperature switch in the coldest position.
  5. Place the mode switch in the panel (upper) position.
  6. Place the blower motor switch in the maximum speed position.
  7. Place the right air temperature switch on the HVAC control module in the OFF position.
  8. Ensure that the VENT (outside air) indicator is not illuminated.

Is the difference between the right and left center panel outlet temperatures greater than the specified value?

6°C (10°F)

Go to Step 5

System OK

5

Perform the A/C system performance test.

Refer to Air Conditioning (A/C) System Performance Test .

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 6

6

Check the air temperature sensors for proper installation. Refer to the following procedures:

Air Temperature Sensor Replacement - Lower Left Side
Air Temperature Sensor Replacement - Lower Right Side
Air Temperature Sensor Replacement - Upper Right Side
Air Temperature Sensor Replacement - Upper Left Side

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 7

7

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Cover the sunload sensor assembly.
  3. Start the engine.
  4. Place the temperature switch in the 24°C (75°F) position.
  5. Place the right air temperature switch on the HVAC control module in the OFF position.
  6. With a scan tool, observe the Right and Left Solar Sensor data parameters in the Instrument Panel Module Open/Short Data list.

Does the scan tool indicate that the Right and Left Solar Sensor data parameters are greater than the specified value?

224 Counts

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 19

8

1. Uncover the sunload sensor assembly.
  2. Direct a light source at the right and then the left side of the sunload sensor assembly.

Do the counts change similarly and correspond to the proper side of the sunload sensor assembly?

--

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 19

9

1. Install a thermometer near the following air temperature sensors:
  2. Upper Right
    Upper Left
    Lower Right
    Lower Left
  3. With a scan tool, observe the following data parameters in the Instrument Panel Module HVAC Sensor data list:
  4. Right AC Duct Temp
    Left AC Duct Temp
    Right Htr Duct Temp.
    Left Htr Duct Temp.

Does the scan tool indicate sensor temperatures near the thermometer temperatures within the specified range?

+3 to -3°C

(+5 to -5°F)

System OK

Go to Step 17

10

1. Cover the sunload sensor assembly.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. Fully open all panel outlets.
  4. Place the temperature switch in the warmest position.
  5. Place the mode switch in the FLOOR (lower) position.

Is the difference between the right and left outlet temperatures greater than the specified value?

6°C (10°F)

Go to Step 11

System OK

11

Inspect the cooling system for the following:

1. A low coolant level.
  2. A loose or worn accessory drive belt
  3. A leaking radiator hose or heater hose
  4. A kinked radiator hose or heater hose
  5. A missing radiator cap pressure seal
  6. A leaking radiator cap

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 12

12

Perform the Heating Performance Diagnostic. Refer to Heating Performance Diagnostic .

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 13

13

Inspect the air temperature sensors for proper installation. Refer to the following procedures:

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 14

14

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Cover the sunload sensor assembly.
  3. Start the engine.

224 Counts

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 19

15

1. Uncover the sunload sensor assembly.

--

Go to Step 16

Go to Step 19

16

2. Upper Right
    Upper Left
    Lower Right
    Lower Left
  4. Right AC Duct Temp
    Left AC Duct Temp
    Right Htr Duct Temp.
    Left Htr Duct Temp.

+3 to -3°C

(+5 to -5°F)

System OK

Go to Step 17

17

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the suspect temperature sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 18

18

Test the suspect temperature sensor resistance. Refer to Sensor Resistance Table .

Does the resistance measure near the Sensor Resistance Table value?

--

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 22

19

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the sunload sensor assembly . Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 21

20

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connectors of the instrument panel integration module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 24

Go to Step 23

21

Replace the sunload sensor assembly. Refer to Sunload and Twilight Sentinel Sensor Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 24

--

22

Replace the suspect temperature sensor. Refer to the following procedures:

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 24

--

23

Important:: Perform the recalibration procedure for the instrument panel integration module.

Replace the instrument panel integration module. Refer to Instrument Panel Module Replacement in Body Control System.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 24

--

24

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

--

System OK

Go to Step 2

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont have a scanner. What do I do next?
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Well, I guess I am at a loss as to tell you how to diagnose an electrical problem with the proper diagnostic tools. To put that evap in, you had to have removed the dash.

Did you hook up all the wires to all the "in-car" sensors? Did you pinch or break any of the wires when you reinstalled the dash?

Looks like there are 5 sensors in the car. You could start replacing them one-by-one to see if you fix the issue. Then there's the HVAC control module on the driver's side. You could replace that if you want to "guess" at the repair.

Depending on the type of AC system you have, you might have actual "actuators" that control the 2 doors for temperature on both sides. You should be able to get at them. Looking up under the dash on the driver's side, move your temperature control from hot to cold and see if it actually is moving.

Removing the glove box on the right side, do the same thing and see if that actuator is moving. Below are some pictures and schematics to help you see what you are looking at.

Again, don't click on the blue hyper links as you will go no where. Take a look see and let me know how you make out.

Temperature Sensors

Object Number: 718084  Size: FS

HVAC Controls

Object Number: 718080  Size: FS

Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement - Right Side

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 292142  Size: SH

1. Remove the IP compartment. Refer to Instrument Panel Storage Compartment Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauge. and Console.
  2. Remove the electrical connector from the right air temperature actuator.
  3. Remove the right air temperature actuator retaining screws (1).

4. Object Number: 292146  Size: SH

5. Remove the right air temperature actuator.

Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement - Left Side

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 292138  Size: SH

1. Remove the left side sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side in Instrument Panel, Gauge. and Console.
  2. Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacementin Instrument Panel, Gauge. and Console.
  3. Remove the Instrument Panel Module (IPM). Refer to Instrument Panel Module Replacement in Body Control System.
  4. Remove the electrical connector from the left air temperature actuator.
  5. Remove the left air temperature actuator retaining screws (1).

6. Object Number: 292133  Size: SH

7. Remove the left air temperature actuator.