GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. The service light is on. How

I have a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. The service light is on. How do I reset it?

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Did not work

Is it a picture of the oil can and a wrench?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no oil can, just a wrench and the word service.

Ok, that is a warning that there is a fault in the BCM side of the car. It could be a light out. You need to use a scan tool for this. A scan tool is very different than a code reader. Scan tools are larger, can scan and control certain systems of the whole vehicle, and usually cost about 2000+. A code reader will only read emission related codes and that limits them to reading the engine and transmission modules. Given the cost of the scan tools, it is usually cheaper to get a shop to read the codes. If they are honest, I would imagine that $20 is fair to stick the machine on and read codes.

Thanks for using Just Answer. If you want me to answer your next GM or GM product question, please put "For GMTECH Cam to Answer" and I should get it. Thanks and have a great day!!