GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

Sunfire: cylinder..easiest way..it without removing the hub

I am trying to replace the wheel cylinder on my sunfire, what is the easiest way to remove and replace it without removing the hub?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

To clarify one thing, the wheel bearing assembly is the hub. But these are easy to change. Take the center nut off, take the rotor and caliper off, then remove the ABS connector and the 3 bolts from the back. The you can tap the hub assembly out and replace it. These are one of the easiest to change. It should take about 30 mins.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is the rear brake i am working on and its giving me a harder time than i thought it would

There are 4 bolts from the front. You put the socket through the hole in the face of the hub.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

torx bolts , would a cresent wrench be the best for the nuts on the rear? there is not much room to use a regular wrench or a socket

No, you need the socket. What I do is put the socket in, then stick the extension through the hole in the face of the hub. There is one that is a bit larger than the rest.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thru the hole are torx heads,in the back the lower 2 nuts are hard to get any good bite, would a cresent wrench help?

I would not use a cresent wrench. Often there is not enough to grab it tight enough and it strips the head, but you can try gently and see.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how does the back plate seperate from the hub?
It is bolted with the same bolts for the hub to the axle. I think there was some confusion with terms. You are only repalcing the wheel cylinder for the brakes, not the wheel bearing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am just doing the wheel cylinder and i cant get it in between the back plate and lugnut assembly.

It was only supposed to be an easy fix of a front break line and system bleed, but the bleed valves on the rear brakes are rusted away

OK, if the front brake line only was opened and the system did not go low, then it should not have got air in the back.

Anyway, once you get those small torx bolts off, you can remove it after taking the shoes off. You do not need to remove the hub for this. Sorry, I ended up at the conclusion that the bearing was out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the assembly is off , now i have to seperate the two peices so i can get the cylinder on the back plate

the brake line was blown while it was being driven. the system is empty. all 4 brakes have to be bled. i cannot get the new cylinder between lug and the back plate, what is the best way to do this?

The hub is off the car with the backing plate? Then it should just tap apart. The bolts that hold the hub also hold the backing plate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is no risk damaging the abs sensor if i tap it and spray some penetrating oil on it?

Do not tap the sensor, rather tap the backing plate or the back fo the hub flange. The sensor is plastic and you will daamge it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i didnt mean that. will the shock of the taps damage the sensor? i know not to hit the sensor itself

If you are not hitting the whole thing too hard, no. The fluid, just clean it out as best you can after.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks. ill give it a try

a big job for a small hose

No doubt. Let me know.
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.