GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

how to unloc radio 2000 sunfire

Customer Question

how to unloc radio 2000 sunfire
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

To get the code I need you to get me 2 codes. To do this, you need to press and hold the 2 and 3 buttons together with the key on. Record the 2 codes, then press the AM/FM button and get the second code. Reply with these codes and I can get you the unlock code.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

WHEN I PRESS 2& 3 FOR 10 SECONDS NOTHING HAPPENS

Is the radio out of a newer car?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I OWN A 2000 PONTIAC SUNFIRE THE OLD RADIO NO LONGER WORKS I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER FACTORY RADIO FROM A SUPPOSEDLY 2000 PONTIAC SUNFIRE LOOKS ARE THE SAME. THE NEW USED RADIO IS HOOKED UP AND CLOCK APPEARS AND LOCKED IS ON. WHEN I HOLD 2&3 NOTHING HAPPENS 7 TIMES I HAVE TRIED HOLDING FOR 10 SECONDS. THEN I WAS TOLD TO HOLD 2&3 AM/FM WHICH I ASSUME IS TO HOLD THE BAND BUTTON BECAUSE THERE IS NO AM FM IT IS CALLED BAND FOR TEN SECONDS NOTHING HAPPENS TRIED 4 TIMES.

There is no need to shout. If pressing the 2 and 3 does nothing, and the radio does not say INOP, then you have the radio from a newer sunfire that uses the Vin to unlock the radio.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I DID NOT SHOUT !!! THE RADIO I RE LOOKED AND IS A 2001 MAYBE THAT MATTERS BUT WE DO NOT HAVE VIN # XXXXX THE CAR IT CAM OUT OF

Ok, your caps is on then.

The new style radio lock is one that requires programming to unlock. This is done with a scan tool and GM programming to unlock.

Theft Deterrent

The "Theftlock" theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes Class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the Class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The 2 scenarios able to cause this condition are:

A radio is installed from another vehicle
A module which communicates on the Class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle

The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the "Theftlock" DTC for further information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I DO NOT EXPECT TO BE CHARGED FOR INFORMATION GIVEN NOTHING WAS MENTIONED ABOUT NEEDING SPECIAL TOOL
.
I DO NOT EXPECT TO BE CHARGED FOR INFORMATION GIVEN NOTHING WAS MENTIONED ABOUT NEEDING SPECIAL TOOL

I am sorry then, I will request a refund, but that will not change the fact that you need to pay a dealer or shop to try and unlock it. If you can get a radio from a 2000, I woudl be happy to get you the unlock code, but the 2001 does not worh that way.