GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

How to bypass the passlock system on my 1999 pontiac sunfire.

Customer Question

how to bypass the passlock system on my 1999 pontiac sunfire.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

It sounds like you need to perform the learning and the 10 mins is not all of it. Try this.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

should the security light blink because it just stays on?

Yes it should blink.

OFten if that is not the case, then the issue is the cluster. The instrument panel cluster with the gauges in it acts as the theft module as well. More often than not, it failes and causes this on these.

In that case then we need to replace the cluster and do a relearn to make it work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well i hit hit a big wash out in the road road and everylight on the dash cam on and it ran fine all the way home and i shut it off and it hasn't ran since. it starts for a second and shuts off

Security will never stop the engine once it has been running for more than a few seconds so if the impact damaged the cluster, or the passlock part if it, then you would not know until the next start up

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how would i know if it was the gauge cluster?

Well, if the passlock sensor is new and the security light does not flash for a relearn, t hen all that is left is that cluster.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am at the u pull parts place. Can I replace the 1999 cluster with a cluster from a 1996. It does not have digital mileage and my 99 does but everything else looks the same.

No, it should be the same year or style.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did get the same year instrument panel and it still doesn't stay running for more than a second or two and the passlock still kicks on. Any more thoughts? The light that needs to blink to relearn the passlock still stays running without blinking.

Does the light go out now if you crank, let it stall then wait 10 mins?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
o.k. Will try again. Thank you. I just can't get it to blink.

This one may not, but see if it goes out as I asked.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try it in the morning. Thanks for all your help so far.

My pleasure, just reply then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so i tried the door 10- 15 minutes and the light never went out... any other ideas? i was reading something about a body control module could that have anything to do with that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can anyone help me security light doesn't blink it just stays on. reseting doesn't work either.

The Body Control Module does not work the security in the year, that is newer years.

Yours is controlled by the cluster and I have seen many that are bad causeing this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The security light stays on even when cranking.

I am certain there is a problem in the cluster then.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so i read that a body control module runs the gauge cluster and i did put in a brand new gauge cluster in so could the body control module be the culprit?

The Body Control Module does work on the network, but the is not responsible for the theft system, it is the cluster that sends the signal on a tan wire to the engine computer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried a second new cluster and I am still having the issue.

Then something else is the issue, either either the wiring is bad or the security is no tthe issue at all.