Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

Need the wiring diagam for 2004 Oldsmobile Alero that goes

Need the wiring diagam for 2004 Oldsmobile Alero that goes from the ignition switch to the fuel pump. Thank you
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Hello and good morning. Just to make sure, I show your car having a 2.2 liter instead of a 2.5. Here is from the fuse box to the fuel pump and lead to the fuse box from the ignition. Link the two by the fuel injector fuse.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have power to pin G7 from fuse #48, but no power at J7 from #46 relay. Can you help me?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a wiring diagram instead of schematic?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your #46 shows Fuel Pump relay control, where our owners manual shows #46 as Climate Control System, Air Contioning......
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

This is in the underhood fuse box, is that where your A/C fuse is located? Also, what is the production date of your car, maybe there is a discrepancy in model year.

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I will certainly help. The fuel pump relay is not being activated by the computer, that is why you have no power at J7. My diagram also shows the fuel pump as relay 18. Here is a picture of the relay/fuse box under the hood that these items are located in. Let's make sure we are on the same component and talking about the same locations.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What makes the PCM shut off the fuel pump relay? Would the PCM shut down because of other failures or is the computer shot?
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
One of the things is the security system.  Is there any kind of theft lock or yellow security light on when you try to start the car?  The computer usually will disable fuel pump control and injector control with the antitheft system is active.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No security light comes on, but coolant resevoir censor has been coming of and on that says low on coolant. Would that have any affect on disabling the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No security light comes on, but coolant resevoir censor has been coming of and on that says low on coolant. Would that have any affect on disabling the fuel pump? Is there any fuseable links between PCM and fuel pump relay #18 like P100?
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
No that should have no effect. I would like you to check for spark and fuel injector pulse. to check for spark, remove one spark plug wire and use a screwdriver inserted into the end of the wire. Lay it near a metallic surface and see if we have spark. Then insert a noid light or a LED bulb across the terminals of one of the fuel injector connectors and crank the engine. I'd like to know if the bulb flashes while cranking. Let's see if we have other symptoms to go with no fuel pump action.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The spark plugs are not in visible sight. Can you send me a diagram as to where they are located. This car is a 4 cyl. What you sent me is 6 cyl.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

No everything I sent you was for a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder. There is a plate in the middle of the valve cover. Remove the plate and you will find the coils. Remove one coil and perform this test with the coil. It has an ignition boot that fits onto the spark plug built into it.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please specify---there is spark at the plug but explain how to hook up the LED light. Is it plugged into the fuel injector wires or do I plug it into the spark plug wire?

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
For spark, you will unbolt one of the coils and remove it. Then you will plug the electrical connector back in and insert a screwdriver into the end of the coil where the spark plug would go. Lay it on the valve cover and crank the engine. Look for spark to be jumping from the screwdriver to the engine. For the injector pulse, unplug one of the fuel injector connectors. Take the LED bulb. Connect each leg of the bulb to each terminal of the fuel injector connector. Crank the engine and look for the bulb to flash.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is spark in both coil and injector.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, check that J7 terminal. With the key turned on, see if you get a 2 second pulse of 12 volts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
please explane 37 terminal what and where?
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Not 37, J7 on the fuel pump relay, that you referenced earlier. J7 will get energized for 2 seconds when you first turn the key on, it needs to be off for 10 seconds before it will do that again, but it should reenergize with you are cranking. This is the wire that goes from the computer to the relay. I'm curious if it's getting the 2 second pulse when you turn the key on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
at relay18 from relay 46 there is a 2 sec. on and 10sec. off. #37 in my sech. is the bcm for ac comp relay fuse.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

If we have a no start due to no fuel pump actuation, we need to stick with relay #18

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relay 18 is the one I checked. It has the 2 second pulse on and 10 seconds off.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, then crank the engine and see if you get continuous power while cranking
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there is continueous power when trying to start.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, then your next mission is to check fuel pressure. It sounds like electrically you have power to the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is electric now to the fuel pump, but pump doesn't run. Thank you for being so patient and working with us and your input is really appreciated. We will be using this web site if/when we have more vehicle problems. Thanks again.

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

You are very welcome. Actually before you condemn the pump, I want you to check terminal J6 for power. That should show power at the same times as the other test. If that shows power, then the fuel pump is to blame. If it does not show power make sure fuse #48 is not blown. If it's not the relay is to blame.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'am getting power now at the fuilpump plug in the rear on the gray wire that goes to the pump. thanks very much..
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, you found your issue. The fuel pump will correct your problem. Make sure you replace the fuel filter while you are at it.
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.