Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2002 grand am: a timing chain & timing marks diagram for this car

I have a 2002 grand am. I need a timing chain & timing marks diagram for this car. It is a 2.2 ecotec. I will be waiting. Thanks Johnny Washburn
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Here is complete procedure from start to finish, including timing chain marks:

Removal & Installation

2.2L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
  2. Remove the valve cover.
  3. Remove the engine front cover as follows:
    1. Remove the front wheel.
    2. Remove the engine splash shield.
    3. Remove the drive belt.
    4. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while loosening the crankshaft balancer bolt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while loosening the crankshaft balancer bolt-2.2L engine

5. Remove the crankshaft balancer bolt and discard. Remove the balancer.
    6. Remove the drive belt tensioner.
    7. Remove the water pump-to-front cover bolt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the water pump-to-front cover bolt-2.2L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the front cover bolts and cover-2.2L engine

8. Remaining front cover-to-engine bolts, the cover and gasket.

4. Rotate the engine until the crankshaft sprocket mark aligns with the second silver link (2) at the 5 o'clock position. Refer to the illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Rotate the engine until the crankshaft sprocket mark aligns with the second silver link (2) at the 5 o'clock position-2.2L engine

5. Make sure the INT diamond on the intake camshaft sprocket is aligned with the copper link at (1) at the 2 o'clock position. Refer to the illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Make sure the INT diamond on the intake camshaft sprocket is aligned with the copper link at (1) at the 2 o'clock position-2.2L engine

6. Make sure the EXH triangle on the exhaust camshaft sprocket is aligned with the silver link (3). Refer to the illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Make sure the EXH triangle on the exhaust camshaft sprocket is aligned with the silver link (3)-2.2L engine

7. Remove or disconnect the following:

Timing chain tensioner Timing chain tensioner guide Fixed timing chain guide access plug Fixed timing chain guide Upper timing chain guide
  8. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshafts from turning.

Exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt and discard Exhaust camshaft sprocket Intake camshaft sprocket bolt and discard Intake camshaft sprocket Timing chain through the top of the cylinder head

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the intake camshaft sprocket, then the chain through the top of the head-2.2L engine

Crankshaft sprocket Balance shaft drive chain tensioner Adjustable balance shaft chain guide Small balance shaft drive chain guide Upper balance shaft drive chain guide Balance shaft drive chain.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the upper balance shaft chain guide, then the chain-2.2L engine

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Upper balance shaft chain guide and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm) Small balance shaft chain guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm) Adjustable balance shaft drive chain guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
  2. Turn the tensioner plunger 90 degrees in its bore and compress the plunger until a paper clip can be inserted through the hole in the plunger body and into hole in the tensioner plunger.

Timing chain tensioner and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
  3. Remove the paper clip from the balance shaft drive chain tensioner.
  4. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position-2.2L engine

5. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses (1 & 2)-2.2L engine

6. Install or connect the following:

Intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Install the intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position-2.2L engine

7. Hand tighten a NEW intake camshaft sprocket bolt.
  8. Route the timing chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the second silver link aligning with the timing mark.
  9. Route the timing chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the copper colored link aligning with the INT diamond.

Timing chain tensioner guide through the opening in the top of the cylinder head and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm). Exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain silver link at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain silver link at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position-2.2L engine

10. Use a 24 mm wrench to rotate the camshaft slightly, until exhaust sprocket aligns with the camshaft.
  11. Hand tighten the NEW exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt.
  12. Install the fixed timing chain guide and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  13. Apply sealant, GM P/N 12345382 compound to thread and install the timing chain guide bolt access hole plug. Tighten the access hole plug to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).

Timing chain upper guide and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
  14. Measure the timing chain tensioner. In a fully compressed, non-active state, the tensioner will measure 2.83 in (72mm). A tensioner in the active state will measure 3.35 in (85mm). To put the tensioner in a non-active state, hold the flat end of the tensioner with a wrench and rotate the piston clockwise for slightly less than one full turn.

Timing chain tensioner and tighten the tensioner to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm)
  15. Use a suitable tool with a rubber tip on the end. Feed the tool down through the camshaft drive chant to rest on the timing chain. Then give a sharp jolt diagonally downwards to release the tensioner.
  16. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshaft and tighten the new bolts to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm) plus an additional 30 degrees.
  17. Install the valve cover.
  18. Install the engine front cover as follows:
    1. Install front cover gasket, cover and cover-to-engine bolts.
    2. Install the water pump-to-front cover bolts. Tighten all the cover bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
    3. Install the drive belt tensioner and tighten the bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
    4. Install the crankshaft balancer and bolt.
    5. Use crankshaft holding tool J 38122-A to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while tightening the crankshaft balancer bolt. Tighten the bolt to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) plus an additional 75 degrees.
    6. Install the engine splash shield.
    7. Install the drive belt.
    8. Install the front wheel.

19. Connect negative battery cable.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.