Goodwrench9124
Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified
5720312

Cam..an ecotec 2.2 after replacing the timing chain

I need to know the proper cam positions on an ecotec 2.2 after replacing the timing chain. I understand the 10 and 2 position with the links but if the cams are 180 out ?

Hello and welcome, yes the cams set at 10 and 2, the intake cam has a mark that is marked intake, the exhaust cam gear has a mark exhaust. as long as the crank gear key way is at 12 oclock, also the timing mark on the crank gear will be at 5 oclock.

graphic

Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position.

graphic

• Install the intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position.
  • Hand tighten a NEW intake camshaft sprocket bolt.
  • Route the timing chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the matching colored link aligning with the timing mark.
  • Route the timing chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the uniquely colored link (1) aligning with the INT diamond.
  •  

graphic

Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain matching colored link (3) at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    The gears can be placed on the cams in two ways, rotated 180 degrees they still fit so placing the cams properly is the question I have

both cam gears are the same, only difference they have markings to set the timing intake or exhaust. and they should only bolt on one way, the slot on backside the gear is offset ed just slightly so they only bolt on one way.

graphic