Goodwrench9124
Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified
5720312

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix: The DRL\Low Beam Headlights work..daytime

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. My problem: The DRL\Low Beam Headlights work perfectly fine in the daytime, but they do not always work at night? What is the possible problem?

I've noticed that this appears to be "seasonal" The problem first appeared late fall; however it "disappeared" during the winter months. It has now reappeared
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Goodwrench9124 replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome. just so I make sure I understand you correctly, the low beams and drl don't work at night? is this correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that is correct.
Ok, how about manually turning on the headlights with the switch?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

They do not come on manually either........ If I leave the lights on in the "high beam" mode, sometimes they will adjust and come on......

Ok, without a scan tool it would be hard to know for sure, but 90 percent of the time it is the HDM module {headlight daytime running light module} this is a small box that plugs into the underhood fuse block. it looks like a square relay. here is a picture of its location in the underhood fuse block.

graphic

35

HDM MODULE

--

LF LO BEAM and Right Front LO BEAM Fuses

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If so what would be my expected cost for full diagnostic, repair\replacement....
most dealers will charge about $50.00 to 100.00 dollars to check out, but most do apply the cost towards the repair. not totally sure about the module, but I think it is around $75.00. in a nut shell, shouldn't cost you more than $200.00 to diag and repair
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We will be off to the dealership tomorrow to confirm............ Will report my findings back to you.......... Is there a possibility of finding an aftermarket replacement via, Advance Auto, NAPA, Autozone or O'Reilly's?

SF

Good deal, Please let me know. not sure about aftermarket parts. OE parts are the better choice.

Please let me know how things go!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will.......

Frown

Here's hoping that the local dealership will be as honest as you've been.

Tx and Gnite.........

Ok have a great evening
Hello, just checking to see how you come out?