Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years

98 Sunfire: liter..spark..injector pulse..It is setting codes

Customer Question

I have a 98 Sunfire 2.2 liter with no spark or injector pulse. It is setting codes B1011 and B1021. Any ideas? Thanks.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

is the Theft light staying on?

there are a few common problems. have you checked for codes?

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked for codes and there are none. Yes the theft light is staying on. Shouldnt it go out after a few seconds? I also noticed the check engine light only flashes once really fast when you turn the ignition on.

you may have a problem in your paslock sensor which is part of the mechanical ignition switch

try cranking the engine for one second then leave the key on for 12 minutes and come back

the security light should go out. now try starting if it does not start turn the key off and try cranking again.

you may need to try this process up to 3 times.

if this does not work your problem is most likely with the paslock sensor and you need a special scan tool to get codes from this system

let me know what you find and if you need more help

thanks

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The theft light will not go out. It does not flash at anytime either. It just stays lit constantly.

there is are also problems with the ignition switch electrical side

remove the steering column cover and check to see that the pink wire is getting power to it

click here for the information

thanks

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, but first I used my scan tool and checked IP codes and came up with B1011 and B1021.

Ok these codes are for the Passlock sensor

click here to view the information

you are most likely going to be changing the passlock sensor and doing a relearn procedure

thanks

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I am going to click accept answer and pay you for your troubles. Is there any way to get back to you later, after I find out more? Thank you for your time.

Yes we can continue to communicate for at least a couple days

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the Passlock sensor part of the ignition cylinder lock? Also is this sensor strictly a dealer item? Thanks.

Yes the sensor is part of the lock cylinder and it is a dealer part

Paul