John, GM FACTORY CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified/40 years experience
6408229

2004 gto clunking noise in differential in 1st and reverse

2004 gto clunking noise in differential in 1st and reverse when engaging clutch
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

• Under extreme driving conditions, the rear axle shaft bolts may become loose. Inspect the bolts and replace any bolts that have been damaged. Follow the service procedure below.
  • If it becomes necessary to remove the bolts that retain the rear axle shaft, refer to SI Document ID #(NNN) NNN-NNNNbelow). Replace the bolts if they have evidence of damage. Part number for the bolts are 90278995 and require 12 per axle (24 per vehicle). Apply LOCTITE 243 and torque to 80Nm (60 lb ft) no need to apply additional torque.
  • Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement

Tools Required

1. Shift the transmission into PARK (A/T) or NEUTRAL (M/T).
    2. Raise and support the vehicle.

Important: Support the drive shaft until removed.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Mark the relationship (2) of the inner constant velocity joint and the inner axle.
      Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Remove the bolts (3) and retaining plates (4) from the inner constant velocity joint
      Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Remove the bolts and retaining plates (2) from the outer constant velocity joint
    6. Remove the drive shaft.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    checked all bolts 6 on inner and outer,tight . car has only 15k mi has never been driven hard never even lit the tires up any other ideas thanks
    Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Check the propeller shaft coupling.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    all 6 tight
    Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
    The bolt can be tight ,but is the coupling good. wear/cracks in rubber/split
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    sorry had to go out for a minute the coupling looks brand new .I have read these gto forums and have done the following changed fluid to synthetic, checked crossmember service bulliton ,my serial # XXXXX past the problem cars I did grease that bushing and it seemed to make a difference .When engaging the clutch softlly there is no noise,but norrmal realease about half the time,more in reverse
    Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
    Well,you are going to get some noise when motion is changed & these vehicle are tight so the suspension does not absorb it.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have read that this is normal ,but it sure dosen't sound like it any possabilty that ring and pin are not set up right .does not do this when cold

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
    You might try some GM additive to the rear axle.It is called a "friction modifier".
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it was put in when changed to syn

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
    ok
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    any other sugestions or should I have r and p clearences checked ,does this seem normal? there is no whinning
    Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
    Well,this is a normal condition ,some are worse than others.i do not believe you are going to find a clearance problem in the 3rd member,but you might want the satisfaction of knowing.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    thanks for your help if you think of anything else let me know