Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified

2006 Pontiac Solstice: P0011..the check engine light on..camshaft

My 2006 Pontiac Solstice threw a P0011 code with the check engine light on. I brought it in and they ran a code and said it was a "camshaft sensor". They replaced the part. The next day the check engine light came back on. Ran another check on it and it was once again a P0011 Cam timing over advanced Bank 1 code. What does this mean? How should I approach these guys? I mean, is the "actuator" a different part? Please help. Thank you!

Hello and welcome. this engine uses variable camshaft timing. in other works, the two camshafts have actuators that change the cam timing. the actuators are feed engine oil from the control solenoids in the top of the cylinder heads. this causes the actuators to rotate, thus changing the cam timing. this code can be very difficult to check without a tech two scan tool. the most common problem is the control solenoid mounted in the head. the cam sensors very rarely fail.

DTC P0011: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

this is what happens to set this code.

The difference between the desired CMP actuator angle and the actual CMP actuator angle is greater than 6 degrees for greater than 13.5 s.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this an expensive fix? I mean, Is it quick? what is a "ballpark" amount that it might cost?

If it is just the control solenoid, about $100.00 for the part. takes about 10 mintues to replace. here is a picture of the control solenoid.

number 1 in picture.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you soo much! Your the best!

You are very welcome!!!

If you have any further problems or questions about this, Please let me know!!!

Thanks for using JA!!!