John, GM FACTORY CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified/40 years experience
6408229

How to easily replace water pump on 1997 firebird transam v8

How to easily replace water pump on 1997 firebird transam v8 ws6 + distributor tuneup
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

If you have never done this before,this will help & yes replace the distributor at this time.

Water Pump Replacement (5.7L VIN P)

1. Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle. Refer to General Vehicle Lifting and Jacking in General Information.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the electric engine coolant fan.
  3. Remove the electric engine cooling fans. Remove the engine block coolant drain hole plug and the knock sensor.
  4. Drain the cooling system. Install the coolant drain hole drain plug and the knock sensor.
  5. Tighten
    Tighten the coolant drain hole plug to 18 N·m (13 lb ft).

6. Tighten the knock sensor to 19N·m (14 lb ft). Lower the vehicle.
  7. Remove the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor electrical connector.
  8. Remove the air intake duct from the throttle body and Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor.
  9. Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses from the water pump.
  10. Remove the heater hoses from the water pump and the throttle body. Refer to Heater and Ventilation.
  11. Disconnect the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor electrical connector.
  12. Reposition the ignition coil and the bracket.
  13. Remove the air pump and the bracket. Refer to Engine Controls.
    Object Number: 11669  Size: SH

14. Remove the water pump bolts and the stud.
    Object Number: 11670  Size: SH

15. Remove the water pump from the vehicle.
  16. Remove the water pump gaskets.
  17. Remove the driveshaft coupling, and the water pump driveshaft seals.
  18. Clean the water pump gasket surfaces.
  19. Clean the water pump bolts and the stud.

Distributor

Object Number: 11668  Size: SH

1. Inspect the distributor ventilation system for proper ventilation. Refer to Section 6E.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Section 0A.
  4. Disconnect the cooling fans electrical connectors.
  5. Remove the left cooling fan.
  6. Remove the accessory drive belt. Remove the crankshaft balancer. Drain the engine coolant from the engine. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (5.7L VIN P) in Engine Cooling.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Remove the air intake duct.
  9. Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) connector.
  10. Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses at the water pump and reposition.
  11. Disconnect the heater hoses at the water pump and throttle body.
  12. Disconnect the engine coolant sensor (ECT) electrical connector.
  13. Reposition the ignition coil and coil bracket.
  14. Remove the air pump and bracket.
  15. Remove the water pump. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Section 0A.
  16. Remove the spark plug wire harness from the distributor.
    19.1. Twist the boot ½ turn before removing.
    19.2. Pull only on the boot in order to remove the wire from the distributor.
  17. Disconnect the distributor PCM connector.

Important: Do not allow foreign material to enter any open vacuum lines. Cap the ends as necessary.

18. Remove the distributor vacuum harness. Refer to Section 6E.
    Object Number: 11488  Size: SH

19. Remove the distributor mounting bolts.
  20. Remove the distributor. Pull the distributor forward until the coupling disengages from the end of the camshaft.

Object Number: 11488  Size: SH

Important: Do not attempt to fully seat the distributor using bolts or screws. If the distributor does not seat by hand, then it is not properly aligned with the camshaft.

1. Install the distributor as follows:
    1.1. Rotate the crankshaft until the engine is at the number 1 cylinder TDC. The camshaft sprocket pin is at the 9 o'clock position.
    1.2. Rotate the distributor coupling until the camshaft sprocket pin slot aligns with the distributor base timing mark.
    1.3. Rotate the coupling until the camshaft sprocket pin slot aligns with the pin.
    1.4. Install the distributor.
    1.5. Using hand pressure, slide the distributor onto the camshaft until the distributor is fully seated.
    1.6. Install the distributor bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

2. Install the vacuum harness. Refer to Section 6E.
  3. Connect the distributor PCM connector.
  4. Install the spark plug wire harness to the distributor.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Install the water pump. Install the air pump and bracket.
  7. Position the ignition coil and coil bracket.
    Object Number: 11668  Size: SH

8. Connect the ECT sensor electrical connector.
  9. Connect the heater hoses to the water pump and throttle body.
  10. Position and connect the upper and lower radiator hoses to the water pump.
  11. Install the air intake duct. Refer to Section 6E.
  12. Connect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor connector.
  13. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Section 0A.
  14. Install the crankshaft balancer. Install the accessory drive belt. Install the left cooling fan.
  15. Connect the cooling fans electrical connectors.
  16. Lower the vehicle.
  17. Connect the negative battery cable. Refill the engine coolant in the engine. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (5.7L VIN P) in Engine Cooling.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Greetings: After hours of frustration and lossing my tools into the bottomless pit of a engine compartment I gave up. I could not remove the air pump bracket on to allow the pump to pass over the stud. What was i missing here the manual and instructions does not really give you a clue as to what to do in a sequence. Can you ellabrate more on this. Anyway what is the standard cost to R & R the pump and tuneup the distributor including plug wire replacement and new sparkplugs. The vehicle has 94K and I would assume will need all the above since it is still running fine on the factory equipment. Thank you for your help but I have skinned hands and a broken ego on this job. the vehicle is all back together and driveable and rady to go to the repair shop.

Regards,

Bill

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
This is not an easy vehicle for a novice to work on.This particular job is just about a must to be done from the bottom.Remove the air pump from the bracket first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the typical cost to have it all done by a good shop including spark plug replacement and wires. I will supply all the parts. Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Replacing the plugs on this vehicle is 4.0 hrs

replacing the distributor & water pump is 3.5 hrs.

John, GM FACTORY CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified/40 years experience