BigBob
BigBob, Service Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

98 Pontiac grand am: an intermitten no start and the security light

Customer Question

I have a 98 Pontiac grand am it has an intermitten no start and the security light is staying on when it does not start
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

So when it does this it does not crank? Or does it crank no start?

Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It cranks but no start I am leaning int he direction of the security cutting out the fuel pump if she waits about 15 mins it will start
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a volt meter to test?

Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do the car is on the way to me I am currently at work car you point me in the right direction let me know what I need to test along with peramiters please I hope I can get the vehicle to act up also that car does have the chip in the key correct
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
First attempt a security system relearn. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.

Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 10 seconds.

Leave the key in the run position 10 minutes. Do not expect any security lamp illumination.

Turn OFF the ignition and wait 10 seconds.

Attempt to start the engine for the 3rd time.

Leave the key in the run position for 10 minutes.

Turn OFF the ignition.

Attempt to start the engine. This will be the 4th attempt and the engine should crank and run

If that does not work:

Find the Pass-lock sensor 3-wire connector, located in the ignition lock cylinder housing.

Leaving the connector plugged in, check for 12 volts on the White wire and 0 volts on the Black wire. This is the power and ground provided by the instrument cluster

Disconnect the 3-wire connector and verify that the instrument cluster is sending out a 5-volt reference on the Yellow wire. If any of these voltages are incorrect, check for a problem with the wiring or cluster

Then test the voltage values of the passlock sensor and compare the values to the voltages found when the vehicle is a no-start.

There are 3 wires at the passlock sensor to test.

Check the voltage from the Black wire to the White wire, back probing with the sensor connected.

Should have 9.5v or higher at: IGN 0, IGN 1 and CRANK.

Check voltage on the Yellow signal wire.

Should have 4.7-5.0v at: IGN 0, and then a drop to a specific value should occur as the key is rotated to IGN 1 and/or CRANK.

Compare this voltage value to what is detected when the vehicle is a no-start

Voltage-drop on the Yellow wire will be different for each vehicle, as there are 10 different possible resistor values. In some cases, this problem is too intermittent to test. If that is the case, the most common cause is a defective lock cylinder housing and the rotating lock cylinder

Let me know if I can help further.
Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you
do
me one more favor can you please send this to my. Email so I can
print it out I am on my cell phone my email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry justanswer only allows us to communicate through this thread, they don;t want the experts bypassing the website. Cry

Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If my voltages are not correct at the passlock what would be my next step
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
So you are getting the signal from the cluster?

Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I won't get the car till tonight
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
I see. If there is voltage from the cluster it will probably need the lock cylinder and housing.

Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I will get back with you if I need help any further
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using just answer!!!

Bob

ps: if I have been helpful don;t forget to hit the accept button, I do not get credit for my work until you do. Wink