Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Pontiac Grand prix: with a no crank no start condition..starter

Customer Question

I have a 07 Pontiac Grand prix with a no crank no start condition. I can crank the engine from the starter but it can't get it to fire. How do i get this car to start
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
can you tell me what the security light does when you try to start it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the security light blinks when i turn the key and the instrument panel blinks and goes crazy
Expert:  car tech replied 4 years ago.
sorry if the panel is also blinking i will have to send to another tech for you
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Does the starter try to click at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the start does not click
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Have someone else turn the key to start while you check the CRANK relay in the underhood fuse panel. Does the relay click when the key is turned to start?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i turn the key i hear a relay in side the car click and at the fuse box i hear a surge but not a click
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went back to the car, I turn the key to crank the security light goes out, i let the car sit for 10-15 minutes with key on, then when i turn the key to crank i get a message on the console that says "starting disable due to theft systems". really do not know what that means. I need help Please.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

Try the following procedure to relearn the security system.

• turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Observe the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the driver information center (DIC), after approximately 10 minutes the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the DIC will turn off.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  • Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes . Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  • With a master PASS-Key III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  • Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    now i have follow the step and the car still not starting, the console is saying "charging system failure" and " Service engine soon". the car has these code P0443, P0403, P0111,P0101, P1350 and random misfire code.
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

I wouldn't worry about the warning messages until the car is running. Does the starting disabled message go out when the procedure above is followed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    yes the starting disabled message goes out
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

Will the engine now crank or not?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    no the engine does not crank
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
    Does your scan tool show engine data, or just codes?
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    just codes
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
    The place to go from here is to use a better scan tool that will also show data. This will help to determine if the BCM is getting the proper signal from the passlock sensor and if the pcm is getting the proper signal from the bcm to allow the car to start.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    you want me to accept your answer when i still have the same problem. the car still doesn't start or crank
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
    No need to accept if you are not satisfied wht the answer.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my friend bought over his scan tool and it said something about the starter relay. I check the fuse it was fine then i put my test light in the fuse slot one lite and one didn't so i think it is ok. then i took out the crank relay and with a test light probe the slot of the crank relay, i found the slot that's always hot, the slot that hot when key is in ignition, and ground to starter, but the slot for the ground at the pcm did not light up or the switch at the pcm did not close. So I put a wire around the slot and plug the crank relay back in and then clip the test light at the end of the wire and at the pcm put the test light on the yellow/black wire at 23 and turn the key and the car started but died immediately. I did this to see if i bypass the circuit would the car start. I do not know what i should do next can you help me please?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
    Basically you are just bypassing the input to the starter relay from the pcm. The security system is still disabling fuel, that is why the engine starts, then immediately dies. You will need to fix the security system. Most of the time the problem is in the passlock sensor. This sensor is part of the ignition lock cylinder. My suggestion is to replace the ignition lock cylinder.