Carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 16yrs in automotive field

How do I change the fuel filter on a 1999 Pontiac sunfire?

Customer Question

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Carguyjosh replied 6 years ago.

Good evening.

To replace the fuel filter you will need to jack up the back of your car and support it with jack stands.

The filter is mounted behind the gas tank.

What I alwats do is remove the emmisions canister to make the filter more accessable. You will need a 16mm and 20mm wrench. Loosen the line from the filter and allow the fuel pressure to bleed off.

Once the pressure bleeds off, remove the melt line from the end of the filter.

Now, twist the filter to remove any debris from the quick connector on the other end of the filter. These filters use 2 different types of quick connects,. If it is white, push the filter further into the line and squeeze the tabs of the plastic lock together and then pull the filter off.

If its a blue plastic fitting, slide the filter further into the line and push the blue plastic piece into the line. This will release the fingers that lock onto the filter. Leave the plastic piece up into the line and pull the filter out....

Please let me know if you have any further questions...

Thanks, Josh

I just wanted to check back in to see if you were able to replace your filter...

Thanks, Josh