Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.

grand am gt: v6 revs up to 3000 rpm before shifting..gears shift

my grand am gt 2001 3.4L v6 revs up to 3000 rpm before shifting out of first.... after that the rest of the gears shift fine. Is this a pressure control solinoid failure?
Hello,this could possibly be a 1 to 2 shift solenoid that is failing or possibly a sticking valve in the trans valve body or debris stuck in the valve body that could be causing this.Most shops including trans shops should have a diagnostic scan tool that can command the shift solenoid off and on when driving to see if it shifts,then from there it can be diagnosed and determined what exactly is at fault,since it is shifting but just at higher rpm's this most likely could be a valve sticking in the valve body or debris in the valve body,in this case the valve body most likely has to be replaced,around $2000 parts and labor.A trans flush may help with this problem if it is debris in the valve body,a shift solenoid should only run around $50 and about 3 hours labor to install it.I hope this information helped,if you need anything else let me know,if you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click the accept answer button as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.