car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years master tech and shop owner

I tried to replace the thermostat in my 02 grand am gt 3.4L

I tried to replace the thermostat in my 02 grand am gt 3.4L and was not able to replace it due to a manifold in the way. I remove the throtte assembly and air cleaner assy to get access to the thermostat housing. I put everything back together and now my idle and throttle are all out of wack. it idles in park at 2300 rpm and at 1200 when in drive. Now what do I do?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  car tech replied 6 years ago.
first you want to double check all the plugs and hoses that are on the throttle body if all are ok then you may have a vacuum leak at the throttle body gasket
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So a bad gasket would make a really bad difference like that? Wow. I checked all the plugs and hoses and all seem to be in pretty tight like they were. The gasket may have been damaged when I reinstalled it. After a little while the rpm's would go way down and it would act like it was going to stall out. Then after letting it sit and starting it back up again the rpm's were real high again.

Expert:  car tech replied 6 years ago.
yes any vacuum leak will cause this the computer changes the idle up and down to try to compensate for the leak i would definitely check that gasket