zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2002 grand prix: a diagnostic..security system..10 min..10 seconds

My 2002 grand prix security kicked in after mechanic did a diagnostic on it. How do we reset the security system so I can start my car? Please note that we have tried the process of turning on, waiting 10 min, turning off for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times. This did not work... tried twice.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
Why do you think it is a security problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The security light was not on, the mechanic ran diagnostic to get the service engine soon light off (car running) when he was done we left (car still running... never shut off) and noticed that the security light was now on. When we got home, we shut the car off, and later when we tried to leave, the car started for 3 seconds and then shut off. Security light flashing.

Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
When you tried the relearn did the security light stop flashing after the 10 minute wait?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.

What was the initial diagnostic check being done for?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the check engine light was on. turned out to be nothing, a one time thing triggered the light.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.

Will the engine turn over?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, runs for 3 seconds then shuts off automatically
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
If the relearn did not work the ignition lock cylinder will need to be changed it has the security chip in it and if there is a problem with it the relearn will not work or the relearn procedure is not being done correctly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you please send the steps for the relearn procedure so i can verify my steps?
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.

1. Perform a security system relearn. 2. Let the vehicle sit for more than 10 minutes with the key off. 3. Attempt to start the engine, leave the key in the run position monitoring the security system indicator. 4. After 10 minutes, the security indicator will change state (turns off). 5. Turn the key off and wait 10 seconds. 6. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine stalls, wait another 10 minutes with the key on. 7. After the second 10 minute timer has expired, turn the key off for 10 seconds. 8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine stalls, wait another 10 minutes with the key on. 9. After the 3rd 10 minute timer has expired, shut the key off for 10 seconds. 10. The security system will relearn on the 4th starting attempt and the engine should start and run.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The battery finally ran down after trying the restart process... and when that happened the car started. The car now works starting and turning off, but the security light is flashing.... I assume this means that it eventually will just stop again on me. Is there any way to stop this? The restart doesn't seem to be a permanent fix.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.

You are right the problem will happen again at some point, the repair for this would be the ignition lock cylinder.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So either way I just need to take it to a dealer... but I want to make sure I am not getting screwed. I really don't feel that the security system module is broken and I think that the car thought it was being stolen because something was touched or whatever. Reading online, there was a blog indicating "if your car has passkey3 system, you cannot relearn your keys". Mine does (PK3 indicated on my key). So this would explain why the relearn would not work for me. in this case, if the system was just tripped, the relearn doesn't work, and the security module isn't broken, what is the fix? Can they reset the code or ??? Every dealer I speak to indicates they want to just replace my module, which probably would fix the problem, but isn't cheap!

Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.

PK3 can be relearned with the procedure I gave you. I did give you some bad info as far as the lock cylinder, I forgot that these do use the theft deterrent module that goes around the lock cylinder. I do not believe this module is really that expensive but I do not have a price for it. Pic below of the module, It is #2 in the pic.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, but if the system was just tripped, and the security module isn't broken, what is the fix? Can they reset the code or ???
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
The security system does not just get tripped, the security system was set off because it did not receive the correct code from the key, if it was able to be reset the relearn you already tried would fix it so the module in the pic would most likely fix the problem, unless the key was damaged some way and it is sending the wrong info to the module. If you have a different key you might try that along with the relearn procedure again (it is not a common problem for these keys to get damaged).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The security kicked in when the diagnostic was run and the history was cleared. Key was on and running before, during, and after diagnostic. This is why I think that something triggered it. The key wasn't just entered and then it happened... it was already IN the ignition with the car running when the light went on after 15 minutes of driving. Sorry, I can't see the picture (image is a red x). My husband and I did try his key and mine. If one key was the issue, would the security light go off if it could relearn off the other key?
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.

If one of the keys is bad and you do the relearn with that key it will not relearn, if the key is the problem and you use a good key the learning process should work and the light would go off. If the key is not the problem and the module is the problem it will not relearn with either key. If the problem was caused by the diagnostics/ clearing the history it would not have taken 10-15 minutes later it would have happened right away.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It did happen upon clearing of the diagnostic.. immediately.

What I meant was that we drove for 15 minutes.. never shut off the car... the mechanic walked up, plugged in the diagnostic tool, we talked for like 5 minutes and when drove away, we noticed that the security light was on. Is it possible clearing the history with the diagnostic tool caused this? This is the reason I don't think something is broken... that it just "thinks" it is stolen.

Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
No I have never seen a diagnostic check or connecting a diagnostic tool or clearing the codes cause this problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess what I am wondering is, have you ever seen the module go bad while a car is running. In my scenario, what are all the possible causes?

Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.

I have fixed many of these and as a tech you never really know when the problem started because you never know if the customer actually seen the light on or sometimes they do not know when it came on. All of the possible causes are, the key, module, wiring problem, power train control module. The most common is the module and a wiring problem in the steering column (which any good tech would check if trying to fix this problem) because there is a technical service bulletin for this problem but I rarely see it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. It will give me enough knowledge when talking to a mechanic.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
Thank you and please do not forget to click the accept button.
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic