Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

2006 Solstice: I am looking at increasing the horsepower..base model

Customer Question

I am looking at increasing the horsepower for my 2006 Solstice (base model). I've been looking into chips and tuners. I have found information on both saying, don't bother. Which would you say is best, XXXXX XXXXX they are even worth the money? I'm not ready for a turbo, nitro, or anything crazy. Just something to start me on the journey to 500 hp.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.

Well, what you have now is

YearModelEngine Displacement LitersEngine VINNet Horsepower @ rpmNet Torque @ rpm (ft. lbs)Bore x Stroke (in.)Compression RatioOil Pressure psi @ rpm
2006Solstice2.4B[email protected][email protected]3.467x3.86110:01[email protected]

Now 500 horsepower is going to be a pretty big jump. I don't see any other way around it other than going with boring it out and bigger pistons.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
My question was not answered. I appreciate that I can bore it out and get bigger pistons, but I asked about a tuner versus a chip for more horsepower and if they were worth it. And if so, which one?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me specifically what chip or tuner you are talking about? You are asking to get 500 hp out of a 177 hp stock engine. Thats an increase of 323 hp or almost a 282% increase. I cannot imagine anything including chips or tuners that simply modify fuel or ignition can come close to a 282% increase in horsepower.

I did notice this though while snooping around.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=65245

This easy to use software allows for end-user calibration of the PERFECT Engine Control Module. The navigatable dashboard displays pertinent engine readings such as RPM, TPS, MAP, Coolant temp, etc. The various calibration screens - such as Idle, Fuel and Spark allow for easy user adjustment of spark advance, A/F ratios and other strategies throughout the RPM range. The PERFECTION software gives the end-user complete programming control to modify the ECM to accommodate for any engine modifications such as valve train changes, exhaust, timing or heads.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection5.htm

Performance Chips
This leads us to our discussion of performance chips. Now that we understand a little bit about how the control algorithms in the ECU work, we can understand what performance-chip makers do to get more power out of the engine.

Performance chips are made by aftermarket companies, and are used to boost engine power. There is a chip in the ECU that holds all of the lookup tables; the performance chip replaces this chip. The tables in the performance chip will contain values that result in higher fuel rates during certain driving conditions. For instance, they may supply more fuel at full throttle at every engine speed. They may also change the spark timing (there are lookup tables for that, too). Since the performance-chip makers are not as concerned with issues like reliability, mileage and emissions controls as the carmakers are, they use more aggressive settings in the fuel maps of their performance chips.

For more information on fuel injection systems and other automotive topics, check out the links on the next page.

High Performance Chips! Power Chips for upto 30% more power