Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

How to replace the ignition switch in a 2004 aztek

how to replace the ignition switch in a 2004 aztek
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
The problem is most likely a bad ignition lock cylinder. You can sometimes get the cylinder to free up by spraying a little WD 40 into the lock cylinder, insert the key and tap on the end of the key to release the tumblers. Let me know if this works or not. I can give you instructions on how to replace the lock cylinder.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i'm going to need instructions its been given me problems for some time now. and can i use my same keys? and will the lock come out sence the cylinder want turn? i called the dealership and they told that they have one in stock and that they could make it to fit my keys but they would'nt tell me weather or not i could do the job at home. my keys are fitted with a chip. and i am pretty good at challengers. so let me know what you know about this
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

The lock cylinder does need to be turned in order to remove it. The dealer can install the correct tumblers into the new lock cylinder so you can use the same keys. Follow the procedure below to replace the cylinder.

Disconnect battery.

Remove the steering wheel.

• Remove the tilt lever close out plate.
  • Remove the retaining screw from the lower steering column trim covers.
  • Tilt the trim cover down and slide rearward in order to disengage the locking tabs. Remove the lower steering column trim covers.
  • Remove the retaining screws from the upper steering column trim cover.

Lift the trim cover in order to gain access to the lock cylinder access hole (1).

• Insert the Snap-On A173A bent-tip awl (1) or equivalent, with a 2.5 mm (3/32 in) tip, and 20 mm (3/4 in) in length, into the access hole of the ignition lock cylinder.
  • Turn the ignition lock cylinder to START.
  • Use the bent tip in order to push down on the ignition lock cylinder retainer.
  • Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.

Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the lock cylinder case

Reverse above procedure to install new cylinder.