Carguyjosh
Carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 16yrs in automotive field
12326834

2005 Grand Prix 90,000 miles. Having an issue with Transmission

2005 Grand Prix 90,000 miles. Having an issue with Transmission slipping going from stopped to moving. Does not seem to have any issues changing gears as I speed up and nothing in reverse, just when I move from stopped, say at a stoplight, to moving. particularly when the vehicle is cold
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Carguyjosh replied 4 years ago.

At this point I would not start at the dealer. There is no doubt that the problem is internal.

My recommendation is to have the transmission flushed before you take the next step. The next step unfortunately is having the transmission disassemblied to find the source.

I can tell you that I have had excellent success flushing transmissions with these types of problems. The flush is a 3 step process that involves adding a cleaner to the fluid, I then drive the cars for about 10 miles to allow the cleaner to work completely through the valve body and clutches.

Next, the flush equipment is connected and ALL of the old fluid is replaced by new. After the flush, a conditioner is added..

I can't tell you how many transmissions I have saved with this process....

Please let me know if I can answer anything else for you...

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since I cannot do this myself, and I had this done about 7 or 8 months ago ata local shop, would you suggest I take it back to the same shop or try another one?

Did you have it flushed already or just a new transmission filter and refill?

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They said it was "drained" and a new fluid and filter. I couldnt swear on what was really done

I bet that they did only drain the pan and change the filter. Back in the day this was an acceptable repair because there was nothing better. This only removes about 5 quarts of a 14 quart system.

These days the flushing process is so refined that it does often cure problems. You will need to make a few calls to your local shop and ask them if they are able to ...Flush Transmissions...

Getting it flushed is the way to go. If you continue to have problems after the flush then you know what will have to be done...

Thanks, Josh

Carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified, 16yrs in automotive field