hauto
hauto, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SELF EMPLOYED TECH, RAN MY OWN SHOP, HAVE 15 YEARS OF HANDS ON EXPERINCE

Pontiac grand am: headlight bulb..owners manual..the front end apart

Customer Question

i own a pontiac grand am 2004 and the headlight bulb went out.
the instructions in the owners manual do not match what i see when i open the hood.
there are no 2 tabs to release the headlight assembly and it looks like i have to take some of the front end apart....what am i missing?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  hauto replied 4 years ago.

Hello below you'll find the accurate instructions and diagrams om the bulb removal

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Halogen Bulb Caution in Service Precautions.

graphic

1. Open the hood.
  2. Remove the front air deflector.
  3. Apply light pressure to the headlamp lens to hold the headlamp in place while disconnecting the retainers.
  4. Lift up the headlamp retainers to release.

1. Remove the headlamp, pulling straight forward from the headlamp mounting panel. IMPORTANT: Note the location and position of the headlamp adjuster retainers and the locator tab.

1. Disconnect the wiring harness from the headlamp.

graphic

1. Rotate the headlamp bulb/socket counterclockwise to release.
  2. Remove the headlamp bulb/socket from the headlamp, if required.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the headlamp bulb/socket to the headlamp rotating clockwise until fully seated.

1. Connect the wiring harness to the headlamp.

1. Position the headlamp to the headlamp mounting panel. IMPORTANT: Note the location and position of the headlamp adjuster retainers and the locator tab.

1. Apply light pressure to the headlamp lens to hold the headlamp in place while installing the retainers.
  2. Align the headlamp retainers over the headlamp mounting tabs, then press the retainers down until fully seated.
  3. Inspect the headlamp for proper fit.
  4. Install the front air deflector.
  5. Check the headlamp aim, If a new headlamp was installed, or if service or repairs in the front end area may have disturbed the headlamp mounting brackets. Refer to Headlamp Aiming.
  6. Close the hood.

Terms of Use

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, tried again, but this is the same thing the owners manual says and its not what i see when i open the hood.

i took some pictures if that will help

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  hauto replied 4 years ago.

You see the black piece that runs from one end to the other right above the head light

it has notches to fit the latch. that is the air deflector that should be moved out of the way then you'll see the clips

hauto, TECHNICIAN
Experience: SELF EMPLOYED TECH, RAN MY OWN SHOP, HAVE 15 YEARS OF HANDS ON EXPERINCE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for the help

Expert:  hauto replied 4 years ago.

No problem, thank you