Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 + years working on cars 9 years GM Tech
12642649

2007 Pontiac Torrent..Stabilitrak light coming on, reduce en

Customer Question

2007 Pontiac Torrent..Stabilitrak light coming on, reduce engine power, engine light stays on. it is in service center at the dealer. I have no warranty on it. They are saying it is the throttle body which will cost $804.00..

I have taken off the positve and neg cables from the battery waited 10 min and the drove it. The lights stay off for about 5 minutes then right back on...

I have read that a lot of people are having the same problems with the traction, stabilitrak etc....

The dealer is saying that if you just touch the throttle body the car acts as if it wants to die....????

They said they would have to replace the throttle body and the connector that goes to it. they said the connector has about 20 wires and they will have to put terminal ends on each wire and then attach it to the new throttle body????? Does this sound right????
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
hello <a href="../profile.aspx?PF=21979255&FID=98"Customer

I just looked it up and it is covered by the 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. You should not have to pay for this repair. ask them to look it up on their warranty coverage table.

Edited by Dan on 1/9/2010 at 1:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didnt get an answer???? It just says the time in the answer box???
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Recheck it to see if it is up now.

Edited by Dan on 1/9/2010 at 1:11 AM EST
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 + years working on cars 9 years GM Tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They said it is the throttle body, it that part of the powertrain?

The dealer said that the throttle body and connector that goes to the body is the part that senses air to the air cleaner then into the engine????
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
The throttle body replacement is under the powertrain warranty. The connector would not be under the powertrain warranty. You will have to pay for that part.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dab, Thank you so much.

Kristina
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
If they will not warranty the throttle body, Call the customer assistance # XXXXX the owners manual and they will help you out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dan,

I have 67,000 miles on it. will this matter?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
As long as it is under 100,000 miles and 5years and it is an 07 model, the throttle body is under the powertrain warranty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
awesome. thank you so much.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dan,

I just talked to Paul at the Dealer service center and he said that it is a part malfunction, no fault of mine.... he also said J5490 is the labor operation code for the throttle body isn't covered under the powertrain warranty.

I called the manufactor (pontiac) and they said it is covered from 2009 and prior just not on the 2010 model..... They said they dont know anything about that code J5490 thing.... The manufactor has given me a case number XXXXX forwarded it to a district supervisor???? Said they would call me back in two days/./////

I called another service center today to get a second opinion and they said the SI COMPUTER was down but that they have a print out with all the operation codes that are under warranty and the J5490 is one that is on that list.... I just called another service center just to make sure and they said that code isnt under warranty...... ????

I am kinda at the service center that my vehicle is at mercy.....

What do I do.....??????
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Right now GM service information is down. I looked last night and the labor op for the throttle body replacement was under the powertrain coverage table.
I looked up an impala a few weeks ago and it was not covered but this vehicle and year is. When GM SI comes back Up I will check again and let you know. The Customer assistance will get back to you and should take good care of you. They always favor the customer side of things. If you bought it new, Contact your sales man if he still is working there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So weird.

The third service center looked it up somehow on the computer and said it wasn't under warranty. He said he was on the SI computer.... Weird since the other two I talked too cant get on it......

I was told that J5490 was the labor operation code for the throttle body.

Thanks again for all your help in this matter.

I will definetly refer to you.

Kristina in Denver, Colorado
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I checked again in the Powertrain coverage code table. J5490 is listed in the covered part. A Dealer can get in trouble for trying to charge for a covered part. Wait for the customer assistance to call you back or call and check up on it Monday
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dan,

Thanks for looking it up again.

I called back the dealer and their SI was up and running and they said the put J5490 labor operation code into the computer and it said it isn't covered under the powertrain warranty. They said their aren't any J54.. at all...

You said you looked it up in the GM SI system, right?

I don't understand how one service centers GM SI computer system is listing that code as covered and a couple others aren't....

Very confusing.....

The dealer I bought the car from is in Illinois and has since closed down :-(

I will call Monday and see what is up. I am at a loss right now... the guy at Alpine has said he looked it up twice with that code and it is not under warranty...?????

Is there anyway that you would be able to talk/email the service center here in Denver, CO and let them know where you are finding it listed as covered under warranty work?

My vehicle is at Alpine - 8120 W Tufts Ave, Denver, CO 80123. The service guy there I have been talking to is Paul Maggiore, his number is XXXXX his email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Also, how do I pay you more money for helping me out is as much detail as you have for me?

Thanks so much,

Kristina
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Under my contract here I can not communicate other than here. Sorry.
They should have the same information as I have.
Check back up with the customer assistance Monday and see what they say.
I am looking at Document #(NNN) NNN-NNNN If they put that in it should come up.
GM has never released to owners what is and what isn't covered but the basic things that are.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hows it going with this?

Did customer assistance get back with you?