BigBob, Service Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

Need the starter/ignition wiring diagram for a 98 grand am 4cyl

Customer Question

need the starter/ignition wiring diagram for a 98 grand am 4cyl
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.

Here is the diagram. You will need to see if you have lost fuel or spark. Does the security light stay on while cranking, flashing or solid? graphic

Let me know if I can help further,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I still can't get it fired up!! have checked all the wires (for breaks) I have chacked and changed fuses, No codes are coming up. I believe the security ssytem has me locked out because if I spray starter fluid in the throttle body it will fire, so i am getting spark. now here is the part that i can't figure out. In the relearn process the security light is supposed to go out, it stays on solid and will not go out (what does that mean??) I can hear the fuel pump cycle when the key is turned on. everything in the car works fine otherwise.

Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
Yeah it sounds like the anti theft could be the problem. Does your scanner check for instrument panel codes, that is where the anti theft codes are stored? Here is how to test the anti theft:

Find the Pass-lock sensor 3-wire connector, located in the ignition lock cylinder housing. You have to leave the connector plugged in, check for 12 volts on the White wire and 0 volts on the Black wire. This is the power and ground provided by the instrument cluster. Now disconnect the 3-wire connector and verify that the instrument cluster is sending out a 5-volt reference on the Yellow wire. If any of these voltages are incorrect, check for a problem with the wiring or cluster. Plug the connector back in. During key on and the engine off, a resistor in the Pass-lock sensor will drop voltage on the Yellow wire. During cranking, it will go up to 5 volts. Verify that voltage always drops to the same level. If not, replace the lock cylinder housing and lock cylinder. Do the relearn procedure.

Let me know if I can help further,