Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 15+ years gm experiance and am very knowledgeable with systems and operations and diagnosis and have access to factory wiring diagrams and tsb's

My car shuts off while driving. It seems to be lagging while

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2. My car shuts off while driving. It seems to be lagging while driving also. While driving it jerks and then I have no power under my gas pedal and my car shuts off. If I let it sit for a while, it starts up again. If I try to start it up as soon as it shuts off the engine shakes and then shuts off again. It has done this 11 times in the past 5 days. It only does this when I'm driving for a while, if I'm just driving a short distance (under 10 miles) there are no problems, just the lagging. What do you think could be the problem?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to help you.

it sounds to me like the fuel pressure is not where it should be . have you checked or replaced any parts yet?????

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took it to Midas yesterday to see if replacing the fuel filter would help and they said that my fuel filter needs changed. They told me that it could be my fuel filter or an electrical problem and to get it checked out at a garage. I have an appointment at my local garage tomorrow. I was just looking for additional information/somewhat of an answer as to why this keeps happening.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 years ago.
ok it sounds to me like its losing fuel pressure or the ignition system is overheating and shutting down. both fuel pump and ignition module or coil pack would cause this exact complaint. obviously prone to higher mileage and older cars. im not sure what help i can be since its got a appointment tomorrow but if you need any additional info let me know i will do my best to help you.Lou.