Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

My car will not shut off when key is in the off position

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

The most likely problem is a bad ignition switch. To find out for sure, remove the plastic covers over the steering column and remove the 2 screws holding the ignition switch in place. Make sure the mechanism coming from the key is turning the ignition switch. If the mechanism works fine, replace the ignition switch.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already replaced the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already replaced the ignition switch. It seemed to work fine a few times I turned on and off the motor. After that it just stayed running after the key was in the off position.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
If you turn the key on, and then back off, do the dash indicator lights stay on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the dash indicator lights stay on.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
I would suggest removing the ignition switch and checking the mechanism in the column to make sure it is actually turning the ignition switch off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

And if thats not the issue, then what else could it be? Like I said before it worked a few times then stopped.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
That has to be the problem, the ignition switch is what powers everything up, it has to be that the ignintion is not being turned off fully when the key is turned back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That would also keep the engine running if its not turned off the whole way?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Yes it would. Turn the ignition on and back off prior to removing the switch, remove the switch then turn the switch off by hand to prove that it is not turning off all the way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright, heres my last question. I just drove my car and the engine did shut off, panel lights are off too. When I went back out to the car after about 15-20min, the panel lights were on. Does that mean the switch is bad too?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
I doubt that the switch is bad since you've already replaced it. The switch is most likely either not being turned off or barely being turned off where it can still make contact and turn on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thats strange that the panel lights come back on after 20min of shutting the engine off. Everything was out, then the panel lights came back on 20min later.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The ignition switch has detents that make the switch want to spring into each switch position. If the switch barely turns out of the ON position, it will want to spring back into the ON position.
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried replacing the switch today, still didnt work. Even tried using the switch itself to shut car off and that didnt work either. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Check underhood relays to see if one is staying on, feeding power back into the system. Does everything stay powered up if you unplug the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it does where under the hood do I check. Do u have a diagram?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician